Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant recommendations needed.

Posted by scotty66 8 Hutto TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 21:39

I need some plant recommendations please.

We just removed a bunch of dead bushes from between my Mom's property and her neighbors... not sure what they were, but even before they died (during last drought) they were an eye sore.
She lives in the Austin area, these plants would be on the north side of the property, which receives full sun (all day). They would need to be; low maintenance, drought tolerant and not grow any higher than 3 feet (is beside a driveway and we need to see over boundary while backing out of a long driveway).

Mom says she would also prefer something pretty and that flowers (no thorns, the neighbors have small children)

Thanks in advance,
Scotty66

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant recommendations needed.

Abelias and loropetalum stay low and rarely need trimming.

o

upright germanders are also good

o

I would try the native Redroot or Jersey Tea (Ceanothus herbaceus), which produces masses of white flowers in the spring. Another option is the purple-flowered Black Dalea, which blooms in the summer and fall.

Ty

o

Indian Hawthorne?

o

A short variety of salvia greggi. Indestructable, flowers all summer long, Loves full sun, and evergreen too. Once established it's incredibly drought tolerant. Just read the label to make sure you're getting one of the ones that stays around 3 feet tall since some varieties can get quite large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here