Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Do you know this rose?

bossjim1
11 years ago

This rose is at a lake house my brother bought in north Texas. Can you identify it? Thanks for your help.

Jim

Comments (17)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I can't identify it, Jim, but I want one. That is beautiful.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Do you know if it is fragrant and how often it blooms? My neighbor Georgianne has a rose which came from an old homestead. It bloomed for the first time this spring and looks very much like yours, has a sweet fragrance and the people from which it came said it blooms once in the spring. They didn't know it's name though.

There's a "Name This Rose" GW forum and the people on there are very good at identifying roses. With any rose it helps to have photos of the canes, thorns, and closeups of the leaves as well as the bush and flower. You might be able to get most of that infomation from this picture if you could zoom in on the original size.

If they can't actually put a name to it they can at least tell you what class of roses it belongs to so you know what to expect on health, size, vigor, soil needs, etc..

It sure is a pretty one!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carrie, I want it too. I may have to go up there and get some cuttings.

Thanks Roselee. They say it is very fragrant, smells really sweet. I'll try to get more information, before continuing my quest for it's name.

Jim

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Which lake is it on, Jim???

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carrie it's at Lake Diversion between Electra and Seymour. If I understood correctly, the house had been vacant for a couple of years.

Jim

• carrie751
    11 years ago

That is amazing, Jim........roses are wonderful gifts to us. Hope you get to visit soon, and why not plan on stopping by the little ole Copper Canyon settlement and pick up some more cuttings and plants on your way back?

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Carrie. I'm going to do that someday.

Jim

• ibheri
    11 years ago

Maybe a Bourbon Jim, do you want to upload it to the antique rose forum? a very high possibility of getting an identification. Good luck.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Duchesse de Brabant
    best rose for the Gulf coast. It grows in the backyard, blooms heavy most of the year, big pink blooms with nodding heads. If you want cuttings remind me in the fall. Duh, guess you don`t need cuttings. Buchanans had some a couple of weeks ago.
    Tally HO!

• ibheri
    11 years ago

I don't think it is Dut hess de brabant. She has lighter color blooms than the ones in the picture.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Those were my thoughts as well, ibheri, and this rose has a lot of purple in it if the colors are true in the pic.

• ibheri
    11 years ago

This is how Dutchess de Brabant is in my yard..

{{gwi:237952}}

{{gwi:1347260}}

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Tally, but I really think, like Indu and Carrie, that this rose is darker, with more purple than Duchesse. See you at Mercer.
    Jim

• sfmathews
    11 years ago

It looks similar to my Reine de Violette.

• ltcollins1949
    11 years ago

I agree that it isn't a Duchesse de Brabant because their flowers are a lighter pink. But if the canes are thornless or nearly thornless, then maybe it might be a Zephirine Drouhin which happens to be a Bourbon rose. Whatever it is, it is beautiful.

. Also it could be the Reine des Violettes like suggested above. It is also thornless or nearly thornless. Let us know when you find out.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I had the same thought as sfmathews, Reines de Viliolette, but since mine is very small, hard to tell!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

There are many possibilities. It reminds me of 'The Bismark School Rose', a found rose pictured on the Peacefull Habitations Rose site. Notice the flat leaves on both roses. Many roses have leaves with wavy edges. As far as I know this rose has not been identified.

To see it follow the link below. Look on the left side bar under 'Information' and click on 'Found Roses'.

The nursery is no longer open, but the web site contains a wealth of information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful Habitations Rose Gardens ...

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator