Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmm2007

Lubbock Texas Panhandle(Hub City) Best hedge plants?

JMM2007
9 years ago

Hey everyone! I'm new here and am needing some help deciding on what to plant. Just moved into a new house(new for me) and have decided to rip out the I believe to be boxwood shrubs in front. There was a concrete border that went all the way around it that was chipping and crumbling so we decided to pull it out along with the hedge. Now that the concrete work is done...finally!!! What has the best chance for survival in my area. Thanks

Comments (11)

• melvalena
    9 years ago

I sure hope someone comes along and answers your question!

• whitecap
    9 years ago

Parched and sere the broad High Plains, and taciturn its people.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

I have a gardening friend who lives in Lubbock, but don't think he goes to GW much anymore. Wish I could help, because he grows nice things after amending the soil.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I used to live in Plainview, but afraid I wasn't much of a gardener then. I'd look around and see what is growing in other yards. If you don't know what it is, take a picture and post it here and maybe someone can I.D. it.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

OK, I'm just quoting out of a book on the different Tx. regions, some would work for hedge plants others are extra ....For the High Plains (Lubbock) the list goes thus:

Fourwing Saltbush
    Oklahoma Plum
    Cottonwood
    Arkansas Rose
    Colorado Pinon
    Fern Acacia
    Bush Morning Glory
    Feather Dalea
    Winterfat
    Creeping Barberry
    Rabbit Bush (chamisa)
    Texas Barberry
    Artemisia
    Rocky Mt. Juniper
    Snakeweed
    Downy Aromatic Sumac
    Silverleaf Mountain Mahogany
    Cutleaf Daisy
    Pink Plains Penstemon
    Blackfoot Daisy
    Yellow Zinnia
    Apache Plume
    Soapberry
    Prairie Flameleaf Sumac
    Mohr Oak
    Havard Oak
    Yellow Plainsman
    Trumpet Vine
    Sand Sagebrush
    Silver Agarito
    Eastern Red Cedar
    Oneseed Juniper
    Paperflower
    Narrow Leaf Yucca

There is also a list of various wildflowers & Buffalo Grass lawn. Sounds pretty to me.

I personally love the Apache Plume, Sand Sage, Rabbitbush, Plains Penstemon, Blackfoot Daisy, Agarito, Winterfat & Mountain Mahogany.

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 23:22

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I've been trying to remember if any of our neighbors had hedges. I know we never had one. I had one friend who had a tall hedge of junipers.

• whitecap
    9 years ago

Isn't there a little podunk university out there somewhere? Something-Or-Other-Tech. Seems like I saw something about their attempt to become more "environmentally sensitive." Perhaps a tour of the campus would be instructive (if you can find it.)

With an average of only 18" of precipitation annually, it may not be easy to identify shrubs more attractive than boxwood for "foundation plantings."

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Well, you may get some feedback from Texas Tech supporters about it's being a "Podunk" University. I doubt that she would have any trouble finding it should she choose to do so.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Maybe you don't really want a hedge at all. Check out this landscape where the owners took out their box wood hedge and transformed their yard into an attractive xericscape with low water plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xericstyle ...

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

We did a house hunting trip while considering a job offer out there years ago and seem to recall seeing several shrubs also grown in north Texas.

You might check the local lists produced for many Texas communities. Here are two of the most common:

• Local Master Gardeners Association: Lubbock

The Texas Smartscape site linked by the COL has "West Texas" and "Shrub" filters on their plant search.

Local newspapers also often have articles archived on their websites about good plants for their areas.

Looks like you have several good options.

• whitecap
    9 years ago

Just trying to wake people up, Carrie. It's a fine university. I looked at some pics of the campus landscaping, and it was quite attractive.