Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lubbock Texas Panhandle(Hub City) Best hedge plants?

Posted by JMM2007 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 22:02

Hey everyone! I'm new here and am needing some help deciding on what to plant. Just moved into a new house(new for me) and have decided to rip out the I believe to be boxwood shrubs in front. There was a concrete border that went all the way around it that was chipping and crumbling so we decided to pull it out along with the hedge. Now that the concrete work is done...finally!!! What has the best chance for survival in my area. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lubbock Texas Panhandle(Hub City) Best hedge plants?

I sure hope someone comes along and answers your question!

o

Parched and sere the broad High Plains, and taciturn its people.

o

I have a gardening friend who lives in Lubbock, but don't think he goes to GW much anymore. Wish I could help, because he grows nice things after amending the soil.

o

I used to live in Plainview, but afraid I wasn't much of a gardener then. I'd look around and see what is growing in other yards. If you don't know what it is, take a picture and post it here and maybe someone can I.D. it.

o

OK, I'm just quoting out of a book on the different Tx. regions, some would work for hedge plants others are extra ....For the High Plains (Lubbock) the list goes thus:

Fourwing Saltbush
Oklahoma Plum
Cottonwood
Arkansas Rose
Colorado Pinon
Fern Acacia
Bush Morning Glory
Feather Dalea
Winterfat
Creeping Barberry
Rabbit Bush (chamisa)
Texas Barberry
Artemisia
Rocky Mt. Juniper
Snakeweed
Downy Aromatic Sumac
Silverleaf Mountain Mahogany
Cutleaf Daisy
Pink Plains Penstemon
Blackfoot Daisy
Yellow Zinnia
Apache Plume
Soapberry
Prairie Flameleaf Sumac
Mohr Oak
Havard Oak
Yellow Plainsman
Trumpet Vine
Sand Sagebrush
Silver Agarito
Eastern Red Cedar
Oneseed Juniper
Paperflower
Narrow Leaf Yucca

There is also a list of various wildflowers & Buffalo Grass lawn. Sounds pretty to me.

I personally love the Apache Plume, Sand Sage, Rabbitbush, Plains Penstemon, Blackfoot Daisy, Agarito, Winterfat & Mountain Mahogany.

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 23:22

o

I've been trying to remember if any of our neighbors had hedges. I know we never had one. I had one friend who had a tall hedge of junipers.

o

Isn't there a little podunk university out there somewhere? Something-Or-Other-Tech. Seems like I saw something about their attempt to become more "environmentally sensitive." Perhaps a tour of the campus would be instructive (if you can find it.)

With an average of only 18" of precipitation annually, it may not be easy to identify shrubs more attractive than boxwood for "foundation plantings."

o

Well, you may get some feedback from Texas Tech supporters about it's being a "Podunk" University. I doubt that she would have any trouble finding it should she choose to do so.

o

Maybe you don't really want a hedge at all. Check out this landscape where the owners took out their box wood hedge and transformed their yard into an attractive xericscape with low water plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xericstyle ...

o

We did a house hunting trip while considering a job offer out there years ago and seem to recall seeing several shrubs also grown in north Texas.

You might check the local lists produced for many Texas communities. Here are two of the most common:

The Texas Smartscape site linked by the COL has "West Texas" and "Shrub" filters on their plant search.

Local newspapers also often have articles archived on their websites about good plants for their areas.

Looks like you have several good options.

o

Just trying to wake people up, Carrie. It's a fine university. I looked at some pics of the campus landscaping, and it was quite attractive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here