Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog Pee Resistant Plants

Posted by bjb817 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 22:10

I've gardened just fine with female dogs before, but now having a male in the mix is a game changer... Little fella likes to "water" everything I plant, which has caused a bit of frustration to say the least.

From the research I've done after my initial failure, I understand that salt tolerant plants should fare the best... This has not been the case across the board though. So far, this is what I've tried:

Successes:

Wax Myrtle
Cenizo

Failures:

Loropetelum
Abelia
Rock Rose

I have alot more planting to do, so any suggestions that y'all have been successful with would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog Pee Resistant Plants

I recently fenced off the garden area. The dogs (5) get to romp in a large grassy area, and the back yard garden can grow in peace. The 2 male dogs like to water everything; and one dog loves to chase lizards and their romping could do seripous damage to emerging flower and veggie seedlings. So my solution instead of tailoring the garden to the dogs, was to provide them an area where they can indulge in dog behavior.
My approach is not for everyone, but that is how I manage the dog/garden issue.

o

My hell strip garden gets pee from every dog in town. I too put up a fence but it's just wire. The plants that survive are plants folks assure me are "weeds". Texas native dandilion (hey I love the pure,lemon yellow they are!), evening primrose, blue bonnets, lindhiemer's guara, kidneywood trees, lantana(toxic to dogs if they eat it),pear cactus in a pot(will take over, dogs will avoid it), wildflowers (blanket flower, coreopsis, lemon mint etc......) and coneflower but it will be kinda raggy, lousisana iris, and taro.

o

Well, fencing really isn't an desirable option here... Luckily the problem is pretty well confined to the peeing male. They don't really dig or tear things up too bad...

Guess I'll just have to keep experimenting. At least the big boxes take returns on the dead plants!

o

You can train dogs who live in the house to eliminate in a certain area. Obviously this won't work with dogs left outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here