Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

Peonies in TX???

vuwugarden
14 years ago

I planted a peony root in 2008 and completely forgot about it. It never bloomed so I thought, eh, maybe we don't have enough frost or cool temps to satisfy the divas.

Anyway, the area where the peony's located I had planted roses nearby, like literally on top of the peony root.

See the one baby bud?

So my question to you all is, can I grow peonies here in TX after all?

Comments (11)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Yes you can! But you have to protect them from hail and late freezes. If either conditions come up place a trash can over the plant with a brick on top of it to hold it in place. Once I gently stuffed newspaper up under the trashcan to help protect the buds from the cold.

You should expect even more flowers next spring.

• phoenix7801
    14 years ago

Yes you probably will do ok with peonies. What part of central texas are you in??

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Peonies? Really? I might have to give one a try - love them! Is it too hot here or just not cold enough? I'm farther south......

Lynn

• melvalena
    14 years ago

Lynn, if you can find a plant now (I've seen them at Lowe's) get it, keep it in dappled sun or morning sun only and well watered through the summer. This fall you can plant it right where you had it all summer. I wouldn't try to put it in the ground now. They don't like being moved around and doing it while its dormant is the best time to move it. You may have to wait a few years for it to flower. Its slow to establish. But once it does you'll get some flowers if you give it only morning sun and protect the buds from the hail and late freezes.
    At least that is what has worked for me up here in DFW.

• olgaflowers
    14 years ago

I was told to buy the early, mid, varieties.
    olgaflowers,

• melvalena
    14 years ago

I guess I should point out the only one I've grown was the

'Sarah Bernhardt'. It bloomed in April/early May

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Sarah Bernhardt'

• vuwugarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies.

phoenix7801, I'm in Hutto.

melvalena, I don't remember which root survived. I had ordered 3 roots back in '08, a red one, pink one, and a white one. If and when it blooms, we'll know which root survived. Let's cross our fingers until that day!

• rema
    14 years ago

it alsmost looks like the bud on the one i have sarah berhardt, the color the size everything.i know its naive think that but could'nt help.
    rema

• chickadee_42us
    14 years ago

I have a co-worker who can grow them like know one I have ever seen before. She lives in Richardson, Texas. All varieties, all colors. She firmly believes you plant in fall and do absolutely nothing to them!!! Go figure.

• tshcd
    14 years ago

There's a nursery in the NE that says it's possible to grow tree peonies in the SW, by artificially "inducing" winter dormancy. I put one in a year and a half ago and it looks really nice this spring, although I don't expect blooms for at least another year, maybe two. (If the dog hadn't broken the main stem off right after I planted it, I suppose it would be farther along.)

They supposedly like alkaline soil...and we certainly have that.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing tree peonies in the southwest

• jun_
    13 years ago

chickadee are you serious? I need to know where she lives now! just kidding, but I love peonies and everyone has said its impossible in texas to do so. i have hope!