Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srburk

One raised bed struggling...

srburk
11 years ago

And I mean really struggling....squash died, lettuce and tomatoes are just sitting there (and not looking so well). The other raised bed (which is not new and has been sitting there for three years now) looks lovely....jungle like cucumber and lots of beans. I have aphids and some caterpillars, but I can deal with that.

Anyway...I finally figure I'm tired of throwing things at the garden and being mystified, so I did a soil test. There is little to no available nitrogen in the bed. Not sure how that happened...the bed is a mix of top soil, compost, and composted cow manure, which has worked for me before. The only thing I can figure is that the ratio of top soil is too high and the heavy rains have leached whatever nitrogen was left in there.

How do I fix this organically speaking? I prefer not to use chemical fertilizers at all, but I'd like to be able to grow something to at least prevent weeds there if I can't have tomatoes this year. I already tried pelleted chicken poo/feathermeal to no avail.

I've tried looking for recommended NPK ratios for tomatoes but all I can find is listed for farmers which is far more fertilizer than I can ever hope to use. If you need to know or it helps, the pH of the soil is acid--5.5...which isn't the best either.

Comments (6)

• melvalena
    11 years ago

For an instant nitrogen shot, you can add some alfalfa pellets. No you won't end up with alfalfa growing there. Its safe.

You can purchase it at a feed store, mix it in the soil and and then water. You can re plant right away. I think I'd add more compost too.

I scatter a handful of alfalfa pellets around all my plants from time to time. Also spread it in the grass.

If you aren't going to re plant this season, another thing you can do is start burying your kitchen scraps right in the bed. Start at one end and work your way down. You may want to mulch the bed to keep weeds out until you are ready to plant again.

• whitecap2
    11 years ago

I don't pretend to understand the chemistry behind it, but some of the gurus on the Soil Forum claim that too much organic material, during the "breakdown" process, can deplete the soil of nitrogen. I think I'd try amending the bed with potting soil.

• natalie1313
    11 years ago

I had the same problem, and I sprinkled a little blood meal around each of my tomato plants and watered it in. Within two days, my plants were darker green and much healthier looking. You have to be really careful with blood meal though, available N is 13%, so a little bit goes a long way. I ordered the blood meal from sustainableseedco.com but I know you can get it at wells bros in Plano, and maybe even big box stores. Also, dogs are absolutely obsessed with it so keep that in mind if it's a factor for you.

• jimr36
    11 years ago

Natalie1313 has good recommendations. Add back nitrogen through sources like blood meal and other non-chemical based. I'd focus on the pH as well, as it is probably too slanted on the acidic side. It's easier to make it more alkaline anyway (than acidic), so that's in your favor.

Hopefully the animal-product compost you are using has settled down enough, through time. Using it at too early (too fresh) will cause problems with too much amnonia, bateria, etc. which will destroy your plants.

If all else fails, you could dig up the soil/etc. and start over with quality soil, compost, and mulch. You do use mulch right? This is Texas after all.

• srburk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. I hate to just give up for the season, but if I can't get anything to grow there (besides the chives, they are o.k....go figure), it may be best to add better material and let it sit there until fall. To be honest...I use mulch when I can afford to buy what I prefer to use--I don't like chipped up pine bark for several reasons...often I just put a rough bag of compost on top. I'm leery of trying to alter the pH without knowing how exactly it got that way. I need to test the other bed to see how it compares--I'm curious.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I have one small bed that has had stunted, miserable growth on everything I plant in it. In my case, however, I did figure out the reason. I had used black mulch on this bed (I had always used native mulch prior to this)and after researching causes of this situation, I found out, while attending a soil seminar that black mulches sometimes have dyes that have toxins in them. I hope you can figure out what your soil problem is.
    Molly