Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batrachian

shade loving vegetables

batrachian
14 years ago

Could somebody please recommend shade loving vegetables? I have a 5' x 10' area that is completely out of sunshine.

Comments (7)

• goegs
    14 years ago

There aren't any unless you plan on raising mushrooms.

• knittlin
    14 years ago

Yep, you're out of luck. All the conventional vegetables and edibles need atleast 6 hours of full sun and preferably a lot more than that to produce anything. Some edibles and medicinals will grow and produce in shade, like ginseng and the aforementioned mushrooms, but the usual garden vegetables just won't.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I have good luck with herbs in the shade.
    Culinary Sage
    Parsley
    Cilantro
    Mint, of course
    Fennel
    Lemon Thyme (probably other thymes too)

• batrachian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was looking up the herbs above and found all of them require sunlight. Are you talking about planting them in shade that is complete free of direct sunlight?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Mine are under oak trees so they do get dappled sunlight. I have grown mint in an area shaded by a structure, so if that's what you've got, you could try some seeds and see how they do.

Pam

• knittlin
    14 years ago

PKponder, how long have you been growing those in the conditions you describe? And about how much sun do those get (you said "dappled sunlight", so how many hours would you say accumulates over one day)? All the herbs you list may live with a few hours of sun a day, but they won't thrive and really won't do well in full shade as the OP described. They may do okay for a while after planting, but they'll eventually decline. Mint will do okay, but won't thrive as well as if it got a few hours of sun in the morning. Of course, sometimes it's nice when your mint doesn't thrive! LOL!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I've had the gardens in question in place for two and a half years. These gardens and the rest of the back yard are under a canopy of oak (live and red) and cedar elm and the area gets a bit of sunlight through the trees for most of the day.

Here's the thing, I do understand theory and reading labels for sun requirements. I just don't have many full sun spots, so I have tried different plants here and there and I am merely reporting what's worked for me. My mint is escaping it's area and trying to invade the rest of two beds. When you don't have great sun areas and you love plants, you try stuff and see if it works..or I do anyway.

Pam

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz