Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Does anyone LIKE clover in their yard?

TxMarti
15 years ago

I'm thinking of letting it go in a little place surrounded by walkways. Will I regret it?

Comments (17)

• Vulture61
    15 years ago

I think you will. It's a pest.

Omar

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

If it's white dutch clovers then I like them. Omar might not even know what it really looks like. There are plants that look like them but not really white dutch clovers...

• houstonmellie
    15 years ago

depending on the type of clover - it actually puts nitrogen into the ground. Farmers put it in as a crop to enhance their soil and then till it into the soil as a type of "green manure".

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

Back in CA(desert) I had an all clover lawn. It was gorgeous. It looked like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1347922}}

• scottymam
    15 years ago

It depends on the type of clover it is, what I have here looks pretty like clover but it has tons of burrs that get into everything like the Scottie Dogs skirts (I was used to the stuff with white and pink flowers).

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a patch of white clover in my yard that I thought of putting in that separate area. It's an area that is really hard to mow and I hate weedeating, so thought a groundcover would work, and this is soft and can take some traffic.

I think I know what clover you are talking about scottyman. Does it have little yellow flowers? I fight that too, but can't seem to get rid of it. What I have is burr clover, and when I first saw it here, I thought it was a real clover. It wasn't until it spread and had those awful burrs that I found out what it was. I have a long-haired dog so I really would like to get rid of it completely.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

The yellow ones are called black medic... VERY COMMON around here.

• debndal
    15 years ago

I'm getting the clover with little yellow flowers on it in my backyard, but I've not noticed it having any burrs on it. Is there another yellow flowered clover that doesn't have the burrs? Anyway, the critters sure like it. I've been thinking about letting it stay in patches, but I'm also kind of afraid it will take over.

• Vulture61
    15 years ago

I was talking about the teeny tiny one with microscopic yellow flowers. That one IS a pest. I've been fighting it for years with no success.

Omar

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Debndal - It isn't clover. It is called black medic (google it) and it is very invasive if you do nothing about it.

Unless you're talking about yellow sweet clovers...

• debndal
    15 years ago

Thanks Lou, I googled black medic and that's not what I have thank goodness. It appears I have the yellow wood sorrel.

• rebecca150
    15 years ago

I have the wood sorrel. Three leaved and little yellow flowers that close in the afternoon.

I'm leaving it be in the backyard. I like it. I also happen to like henbit.

Now thistles, that's a different story.

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

I am forever pulling out little yellow wood sorrels...man that stuff grows everywhere you don't want it to. I do have a purple oxalis, but I keep it in a pot because I am scared to let oxalis go in the yard...maybe illogically, but still. It is oxalis.

• texasflip
    15 years ago

they sell cultivars of the normal white clover that have pink flowers.

• blessedmotheroffour
    15 years ago

Does anyone leave clover in their flower beds. I have this large leaf pretty clover that is almost taking over my flower beds. I don't know if I should leave it alone s a ground cover to choke out bad weeds or pull it out. Cj

• denisew
    15 years ago

I have a patch of white clover that voluntarily started growing in my backyard a couple years ago. It is the most wonderful thing to walk on with bare feet and the flowers smell wonderful. We just mow it along with the grass and it fills in an area that is a bit too shady for the grass to grow.

If you have the little yellow flowering bur clover, pull it while it is still small. That stuff gets invasive and has really deep tap roots.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

I'm not a "lawn" person, so I don't mind clover. I planted red clover in part of my yard once...an area where wildflowers grow and along the road going to my place. It came back a couple of years, but didn't establish. The upper part of my yard has a lot of white clover, which has pretty much gone to seed now and looking brown. There is a lot of pink oxalis the lower part of my yard. I don't even mind it.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner