Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I see pics of your established viburnums?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 23:11

Are they blooming now? I keep thinking I see them as I drive down a country lane, but I'm not sure if it's viburnum or some other native.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I see pics of your established viburnums?

I don't have any viburnums (wish I did) and I'm not familiar with native species, but here are some blooming at the Dallas Arboretum last month. Probably not native, but certainly established!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Here is a photo of my burkwoodii - it bloomed a month or so ago:

Viburnum in bloom

This is a small rusty blackhaw viburnum, purchased before I knew they were native on my property in east Texas. These are already at bginning berry stage here.

Photobucket

Lin

o

That is gorgeous random harvest. Neither of those look like the things I have been looking at. I guess I'll have to go walking and get a close up look at it.

o

One last pic - here is my leatherleaf viburnum in somewhat bloom:

leather leaf viburnum

And, for a shrub that's blooming now, here's a close-up of a deutzia in my yard:

deutzia

Even though they're not what you're looking for, it's fun to show off the bones!

Lin

o

Your leatherleaf looks like the plant I've seen. I really like that one. I might even have one in my backyard. There is something with leaves like that, but no blooms. It came up a year or two ago.

o

Where can I buy a Rusty Blackhaw ( Viburtnum rufidulum) in the Dallas Fort Worth area?

o

I bought mine a few years ago at Redentas. They have a store in Dallas and another in Arlington.

o

Hey, has anyone had trouble with the viburnums growing REALLY slowly in Texas? I planted a 1/2 dozen small ones, each about 4-6" tall, last spring (combination of brandywine, winterthur and carlesii compacta) and they all are showing almost no signs of growth, though they are all alive. I realize these aren't traditional TX plants, but, I would expect they would either grow or die. Any ideas/experience? THANKS.

o

I have seen the opposite - the varieties I have grow very quickly.

I gave Carrie a rooted cutting of my burkwoodii, and it grew freakishly fast! I think it's well over 6' tall now, in just a few years.

A couple things I'd check for is planted too deep (nurseries often top off the pots with mulch, making the plants really too deep) or girdling roots - I've started bare-root planting trees and shrubs because they've been in containers too long.

Lin

o

Lin, it is well over six feet now, probably more like ten or twelve despite the Constance Elliot passion vine that tried to cover it this past growing season (I have it off of the viburnum now). It bloomed beautifully beginning the second year if I remember correctly. I questioned whether I had it planted in a good place, and I suppose I got my answer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here