Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peaches & cotton drawstring parts bag

Posted by annnorthtexas 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 23:14

I've been browsing the fruit forum looking for a way to keep squirrels off my fruit trees. Ran across a couple posts on wrapping peaches with cotton drawstring parts bags which discouraged the squirrels. But there were also reports of fruit rotting. So, wondering if anyone in the DFW area had tried them on peaches or apricots.

I'd really rather not feed the squirrels this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peaches & cotton drawstring parts bag

I would think a mesh bag would work. THey use paper sacks and pin them on with cloths line clips in Hawaii and it works well.

o

Thanks. Think I'll try it and see how it works.

o

If it's just squirrels, can you put a squirrel collar on the trunk of the tree?

Last year I put zip-lock bags on my apples and it worked great. I didn't think it would work and was really surprised that it did. I didn't get the bags on early enough and there were a couple of apples that had rotten spots. I don't know if it would work with peaches or not. I read about the zip-lock bags on the fruit tree forum.

o

The trees are too close to a fence to stop a squirrel from jumping to them. I'm surpised too that zip-lock bags worked. I would have thought they'd over heat the apples. Sounds like another option.

o

I've got to run out the door, but when I get back, I'll look for the link. They never mentioned peaches or any other fruit except apples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here