Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_wings

Raising the bed

dragonfly_wings
14 years ago

Hi everyone!

I decided this year to focus on creating some raised bed veggie gardens. I'm such a newbie with all of this that I'm still learning about the timing and harvesting methods. But even my 'mistakes' have paid off this year so far.

I built two 4x8" beds (12" tall) and got the itch in late February to put something in them. So I grabbed a few

collard greens, kale and chards. I was informed by a friend that they should have been put in last Fall or earlier this year, but lucky for me that the weather has been rather overcast, rainy and on the cool side, so I was able to harvest those plants this week and had some amazing meals (like lamb rolled up in collard green leaves - similar to cabbage rolls but with Turkish flavors).

After the last freeze in March I planted some lettuce, tomatoes and onions, mint and parsley.

All have done exceptionally well so far, and I had my first salad tonight using the lettuce.

Can't wait for the tomatoes (mortgagelifters, juliets).

I'm not sure how long the lettuce typically lasts but I'm planning on continuing to harvest individual leaves and allow the plant to grow some more. Yum!

So far I've not had to battle any bugs. And I've barely had to water, although I have set up a drip system (more on that aggravation later!).

The plums and mulberry trees are coming along nicely and I'm really looking forward to their harvest. All the rain this year has really boosted their output. I love that wonderful feeling of abundance and connection to the earth that gardening provides, and the satisfaction of knowing

that I'm eating so well.

Anyway, that's all from here at Lake Wobegon. Just want to send warm greetings and hope everyone is well!

P.S. There was a natural anomaly to report. Maybe others noticed this too. If my memory is clear usually a flock of Cedar Waxwings arrive just as the mulberries ripen. In fact they usually strip the tree, along with other birds.

But this year it seems they arrived very early and were sadly sort of pecking at the very young green mulberries that still have some weeks to go. Not sure if that's unusual or not. But they've now moved on without having the mulberries to help sustain them.

Comments (4)