Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Gluten Meal

Posted by edsgoneorganic Fort Worth (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 23:42

Hello, I'm new to the organic fertilization process and I am in need of fertilizer. I have read that Corn Gluten Meal is a great source for Nitrogen, however, is there anywhere I can get it? I live in North Fort Worth and will only need 40 pounds for my first application.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Gluten Meal

Is this for a lawn, flower bed, or veggie garden? A lot of feed stores and independent nurseries carry it. Just keep in mind that it does inhibit seed germination, so it's not a good choice for gardens where you plan to direct sow. Dried molasses is another good option.

o

It's rather expensive for use as a fertilizer. Other seed meals will give you better bang for your buck, without the germination-inhibiting effects.

o

I use alfalfa pellets for organic nitrogen. $12 for 50 pounds at the feed store.

o

We've been using the Nature's Guide prepackaged stuff the past couple years now that it's being sold at several stores and nurseries in our area. Their "alfalfa based" Premium Turf Food has an N-P-K of 6-1-4 and looks pretty much like the feed store pellets The bags are a lot more expensive on a percentage basis than bulk, but only $10 to $20 more out of the annual yard budget for the small amount we use... a wash once the distance we now have to drive to a "real" feed store is factored in.

We also use their corn gluten meal on the lawn for a late winter pre-emergent/feeding combo, but go with the much less costly options at other times when there would be little weed control benefit. Calloways Nursery recently had the 40 lb bags priced right at $40. :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Natures Guide product fact sheets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here