Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Edibles

Posted by maden_theshade 8 - Austin (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 12 at 23:47

I just stumbled across this blog. It is really neat...she has photos and recipes all together. I have to try processing the black walnuts this fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Edibles of Texas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Edibles

When I was a boy we use to harvest our black walnuts and place them into a wooden frame in a pile. When they start to turn a dark brown we shucked them, ended up with yellow hands and feet as we took off our shoes and walked on them to start the process then we finished the job by hand. They went into a burlap bag to cure and dry off for a good month. It takes a good hammer and anvil to crack them using a nut-meat pick. But they are one of the best tasting nuts I know of. For some it is a required taste but I grew up eating them. It is one of the most expensive nut meat as they are so hard to shell plus the value of the trees are in the thousands of dollars standing.

o

We used to do the same. You can also put the wet, fresh-hulled nuts in a 5-gal bucket with water and stir it vigorously with a strong stick like a rock tumbler to get more of the pulp off. Then cure like was said. I like the fruity taste of black walnuts.

o

We had a black Walnut when I was a kid! Boy does the description of the hulling process bring back memories!

o

I saw something online about making Hackberry jam.

o

And I thought picking the meat out of pecans after cracking them was a hammer was hard work!

There are hackberry trees all over the neighborhood and I've never seen a berry from one. Guess they are high up in the tree?

I enjoyed reading the material on the link. Thank you for posting it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here