Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyrose_gw

Anyone grow 'Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow'?

lindseyrose
17 years ago

I saw this lovely and fragrant plant twice in one day last week in Houston! I was startled by the purple and white flowers and had to investigate. What a lovely fragrance! I didn't know the name, so I snapped a few pictures and took note of the foliage, etc. This week I saw it pictured in a Houston Garden Center ad, so that's how I identified it! It's also called "Kiss Me Quick." I'm curious whether this is an old goodie that has fallen out of fashion, or a new plant, or what? Anyone familiar? Like, love, hate it?

{{gwi:1348024}}

Comments (39)

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I have one and I love it. I don't know if they are an oldie but they are a goody
    I bring it in during the winter and put it in a south window and it does real well and sometimes gets a couple of blooms during that time and they smell wonderful
    jolana

• Saloca
    17 years ago

It is an oldie. I have an elderly friend in Houston that has had it on the front of her house forever. It gets quite big there, but won't take North Texas winters (I tried a cutting). I didn't try it as a house plant! Good idea, the blooms ARE fragrant.

• lindseyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's probably my newbieness, but I thought the foliage of the Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow resembled Cape Leadwort (Blue Plumbago) somewhat. Does anyone else think this?

Is this a full sun, needs good drainage, zone 9 kind of a thing (I'm guessing 9 from what y'all said about bringing it in)? I have few spots (if any) that get full sun, and I also have drainage "issues," but I'm always researching plants to get ideas about what I could maybe successfully grow! I wonder if this has a climbing habit. It seems it was staked or on a trellis of some kind (which is why I framed it like I did, to get the part scrambling up). We were waiting for a restaurant to open and I was distracted (and it was really bright) so I didn't get to make a super close inspection.

Thanks Jolana and Saloca for your input!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Mine is in full sun now but I will move it under the porch during the summer.
    Everyone that I have ever seen has been shrubby
    I'll look at both of those leaves tomorrow and see if they are similar

• little_dani
    17 years ago

This is definitely an oldie that not many people know about anymore. One of my favorites.

I have 4 of them, and the one in full sun does the best. I mean FULL SUN, not a bit of shade anywhere! For drainage problems, you could plant it on a bit of a berm, it will do fine.

I also do not protect this plant from freezes, and it has never shown so much as a little burn.

It comes up easily from seed, and roots easily from cuttings.

Just a winner all the way around, I think. That is just my HO, of course.

LOL

Janie

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Shrubby plant, with impressive colors in the flowering. Needs to be potted in colder parts of the state, and overwintered.

Plan to get one, in the near future. Saw some last weekend, but not quite as nice as I would like.

They tend to be a bit on the pricey side.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

I agree with y'all it is an oldie. I hate to say that because I remember it from when I was a little girl.

Mine does not freeze here 22 miles North of San Antonio.

• texaswildflower_
    17 years ago

I love this shrub! Have had one growing beautifully here in zone 8a for about 20 years. Never covered it or protected it. It smells wonderful! It is just starting to put on it's show right now. It will bloom now for quite awhile and then again in the fall. It does reseed here and have dug up and given away lots of babies over the years. I have even transplanted a few more into my yardens a couple of years ago. They do seem to be having a slow start, but will be well worth the wait. It's definitely a carefree shrub for me. Never had a pest problem with it at all. I say it is well worth the investment.

• texazgal
    17 years ago

I had never heard of this before last weekend. My daughter and I went to a little nursery in Pleasanton and they had ONE near the front gate. She bought it and we planted in her front bed. I loved it and wanted one, but they only had the one. Encouraged to hear it can grow from seed, so mabe can get one from hers. The smell was heaven!

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Mine gets morning sun, then afternoon shade, never gets any protection. Grows easily from cuttings. Covered with blooms right now. Does usually lose its leaves in the winter. I don't think it cares where it grows.
    Tally Ho!

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Tally, would you start me a cutting?
    Jim

• beachplant
    17 years ago

No problem. I'm going to put in cuttings next week, if I can beat my way through the jungle. Those enablers never did show up to dig plants! Bums!!
    Tally HO!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Well, Tally, had I have known you had one of these, I would have shown up in broad open daylight. May have to still come and dig -----

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I know Tally, no one wants to go anywhere.
    They are bums, lol

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

This is so weird, but I had one for several years and it never ever bloomed. Not even once.

Now I am pretty sure I have one that was in one of those broad pots of mixed plants. I planted the whole shibang in the ground last year and what I think is 'it' (I brought a leaf inside and compared it to the picture) came up this spring along with a few other things, asparagus fern,lantana, etc, but 'it' is NOT blooming.

Any ideas?

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Mine doesn't bloom until early summer and in late fall
    I don't know why yours doesn't bloom. Where do you have it?
    Full sun, shade?
    Janie said hers in full sun but when mine is in full sun the leaves start looking funny and it wilts more but mine is in a pot

• little_dani
    17 years ago

Mine is in the ground.

The ones in the shade bloom sparingly.

Jerry says to wait until the nights are consistantly 70 degrees before you do cuttings. Otherwise, a cold spell could knock your cuttings back. Not a freeze, just a cold spell.

Janie

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

Jolana, the one I had that didn't bloom for three years was in about half sun as most of my yard is. Same with the one I think I have now that was in the mixed pot of flowers ... maybe it 'came back' to show me what it could do. I hope so. (Sure is cold this Sat. before Easter ...brrrrrr ... who'd ever thought we'd be turning on the heat again.)

• treelover
    17 years ago

I have one against the east side of my house in sandy soil. It was the first thing I planted when we moved in 6 years ago.

It has bloomed each year, but never got any bigger than 18" and never looked happy, so...I cut it way back last winter and it's just now putting out new growth. If it doesn't perk up, I'm going to move it to a sunnier location next fall.

Mine isn't much to look at when it's not in bloom, but that might be because it needs something it's lacking.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

At this rate it will never be above 70 degrees. At least I didn't plant the caladiums yet.
    I'm going to put in cuttings next week if I don't freeze before then.
    Carrie, I'll draw you a map through the jungle to get to it.
    There is probably a shovel there somewhere.
    Just heard it is snowing in Temple!!
    Did someone turn the calendar back?
    Tally HO!

• texaswildflower_
    17 years ago

This is the way mine looked before the freezing rain and sleet we have been having today. It's on the east side of a building, gets partial morning sun, and hardly any attention.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Well,maybe I'll put mine in the ground this year and see what happens, of course then I won't be able to bring it in and smell the flowers

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Texaswildflower, where in zone 8 are that you have it in the ground? I am near Lewisville, and wondered if it would survive inground for me? May wait and see what your's does, Jolana, as you are much warmer in the winter most of the time than I.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Carrie, if memory, LOL serves she lives close to Lake Livingston, East Texas

• texaswildflower_
    17 years ago

Wow Jolana, You have an excellent memory! I am impressed!

Carrie, she is right, I live close to Lake Livingston in zone 8a. There is a little dip of zone 8a surrounded by 8b here and have gotten down to at least 7 degrees here before and it survived it. This plant was planted prob at least 20 years years ago before I knew a whole lot about gardening ...other than I wanted some pretty flowers!! ROFL Learned a lot through the years, but I say take the chance. What have you got to lose? Might want to protect it for the first winter to make sure it gets established, just in case.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LOL, well you used to post more and we've talked about where people live. Lake Livingston was the first place in east Texas that I ever fished, lol

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I have a very dear gardening buddy living in Goodrich, which is very near you. And, oh yes, it stays colder over a more prolonged period of time here. I could try it like I did the butterfly vine from Jolana - I planted it in a container the first year, but I moved it only to a more protected place for winter (but still outside). It has survived beautifully, so may work!!! Worth a try!!!

• bunchie
    17 years ago

hello
    i'm new here, and was reading about y,t,andt. and it is an oldie,but haven't seen one in well,,,a long time. would any one have some cuttings that they would share. will trade for something i have. and wondering about plumarias. any one have that plant?
    thanks -bunchie

• malmason
    17 years ago

Can anyone please let me know the growing condition of YTT? What kind of soil will it take? The spot I have in my mind is in a front yard and full of clay, facing North, between mine & neighbor's house (East side is my house & West side is space). Does this keep the leaves throughout the year? How big can it get? I love fragrant plants, and my inquiring mind wants to know.

• texaswildflower_
    17 years ago

Jolana, seems I used to have more time. Am only home now because I have one heck of a severe head cold! I get to blame it on this wierd freaky weather! Do you still fish at the lake? I am dying to do some fishing. But with the high winds and rain, the lake looks nasty!

Carrie, how kewl that you have a gardening friend fairly close to me. It's definitely different gardening in this region. Do y

• texaswildflower_
    17 years ago

OOps my computer locked up while I was posting and only a partial post went through evidently...
    to continue...
    Carrie, do you ever go visit her? Am planning a trip to Loneoak Daylily farm soon, when I can find the time to get away. Ever been there? It is supposed to be fairly close to where your friend lives. Good luck on your planting!

bunchie, will you be at the plant swap at Mercer? I don't have any rooted, but could bring you a cutting to try.

Malmason, Mine is planted on the east side of a building so it doesn't get any hot afternoon sun. I can't give you any first hand advice on that, but you might consider amending the soil if it is clay, before planting.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Yes, texwf, I do go visit her occasionally. Had wanted to go this past fall, but just could never get around to it - you know the old "roundtoit" thing. Maybe sometimes this spring, we can slip off for a short visit - she has 7 acres on the lake with a huge greenhouse - always an interesting visit.

• valerie_zone_8
    16 years ago

I have one in the ground in Austin. Didn't bloom the first season but has tons of blooms in full shade.
    Val

• melvalena
    16 years ago

I forgot to tell Carrie that the one she took home from the swap has teeny tiny cream colored specks on the leaves. They don't belong there.
    That is over spray from the painters a few weeks ago!

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Mine is blooming.
    Here is today and yesterday.

{{gwi:1348026}}

all blooms... 5 of them. LOL

{{gwi:1348027}}

And this is what I had to "wade" through to take the picture.

{{gwi:1348028}}

• lindseyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, ntvtxn! Now you've shown us today and yesterday's blooms...I want to see tomorrow's! :D

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Here's all three days. A bit rain battered.

{{gwi:1348029}}

• virginia34
    16 years ago

I would like information about starting plants from mine. Someone said "seeds" someone else said cuttings. If you do cutting, HOW??????????? Thanks

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

I grow mine in a pot in a sunny spot, and over winter it inside. It hits every shade of purple I love, and mine is a water hog. I love it! Great picture!