Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

A Tale of Three Nurseries ...

After attending the Manchaca swap Patty and I eagerly headed out to visit some plant nurseries. Our first stop was the nearby "It's About Thyme". It is a large, beautiful and well stocked nursery. I don't know why I didn't break out the camera, but I found something I've been wanting a long time; red buckeye for $7.50. This is the one with the deeply pleated leaves.

Next we headed over to a new nursery in Kyle that Patty found by searching the internet for nurseries in the area of the swap ...
{{gwi:1348055}}

{{gwi:1348056}}

What's not to love about a nursery with rocking chairs ...
{{gwi:1348057}}

This red passion vine was an eye catcher ...
{{gwi:1348062}}

The mini horse and donkey in residence is not only of interest to children, but to ME too ...
{{gwi:1348064}}

I wanted a shot without the fence in between, but couldn't get any distance away without them following me ... :-)
{{gwi:1348066}}

The nursery is very kid friendly. The picnic table, special hay bales and play house will keep the kiddies busy while Mom and Dad shop ...
{{gwi:1348069}}

{{gwi:1348070}}

They sell grass fed beef and organic produce as well as a good selection of herbs, plants and potting soils, etc.
{{gwi:1348073}}

{{gwi:1348078}}

How's this for a 'strawberry pot'. It will hold 40 plants. Planted with herbs you wouldn't have to travel far to get what you needed ...
{{gwi:1348081}}

{{gwi:1348082}}

I fell in love with this gorgeous agave ..
{{gwi:1348083}}

But ended up buying two large blooming dyckias, 'Nickle Silver' for me and this red one for a friend, both only $20.95 each. For anyone not into dyckias this is a bargain because they are slow to grow, but almost impossible to kill ...
{{gwi:1348084}}

It was fun to talk to the enthusiastic young owners Jennifer and Nathan. The nursery is located at 711 North State Highway 81, Kyle, Texas. 512 673-7424. WWW.crossplantsandproduce.com

~ ~ ~

We hadn't been to Andrea's Hill Country Gardens for awhile so swung by there on the way home. Patty took out running with purse on her arm to beat me in ... ;-)
{{gwi:1348085}}

Andrea always has the neatest yard art. Forget the knight in shining armour. I want this life size rusty one ...
{{gwi:1348086}}

Nice fountain ...
{{gwi:1348092}}

How about this bottle brush tree? Wonder if mine will ever get this big ...
{{gwi:1348094}}

I was almost persuaded to buy another rose bush when I saw this one; 'Rosa Pink Drift'. The Drift line of roses come in many colors, are easy to grow and very healthy; challenging Knockout roses in those respects ...
{{gwi:1348100}}

{{gwi:1348101}}

Looks like the improvements are going ahead as planned. That's Andrea off in the distance engrossed in more ideas to keep this a showplace ...
{{gwi:1348102}}

Andrea has loads of Texas natives, and large speciments of many plants, as well as just about anything else anybody would ever need to garden. Sure there are weeds, but after all this is a 'COUNTRY garden'. There were several things I wanted, but was tired and ended up with only some herbs.

Hill Country Gardens, 588 FM 1863, New Braunfels, TX 78132 (830) 620-5149

~ ~ ~

Several days after this jaunt a really REAL country garden was visited when I met Lesli at her Aunt Minnie's nursery on Hwy. 87 3.5 miles S. of La Vernia.
Aunt Minnie is planning to close her garden by October this year after being in operation for 51 years.

I didn't take many photos as things looked pretty much the same as the last time I was there ...
{{gwi:1348104}}

However, I was impressed with the blooming Agave lophantha. It overlooks the ponds with water lilies ...
{{gwi:1348107}}

{{gwi:1348111}}

It was wonderful to visit with Aunt Minnie and Lesli and I left with a Macho fern for $3.00 and a 3 ft. tall, 3 branched yellow plumeria for $10.95 and various other goodies including a cute hanging pot made out of a boat bumper (I think) for $2.00. There were lots more Macho ferns.

Then Bob, Lesli and I headed over to Texas Pride BBQ for lunch and good conversation.

Sorry, I meant to post this in the gallery, but since it's here I hope you enjoy seeing these nurseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous post about Minnie Albert's nursery ...

This post was edited by roselee on Sat, May 3, 14 at 0:14

Comments (15)

• melvalena
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW!
    You certainly get around. I loved the playhouse made from pallets.
    That photo is now saved in my 'projects' folder I mentioned over in 'conversations'.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gail, I hadn't even noticed the playhouse was made out of pallets! So much for my powers of observation. They work about as well as my intuition ... lqtm (laughing quietly to myself). Yes, another very clever use of pallets!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I loved the virtual tour! Thanks Roselee! I am in love with that herb tower!

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

HAHAHA, that visual of you and Patty running in is cute!
    Boy they have been busy at Andrea's, when I was there a few weeks ago it didn't look like that in the back. The front was neat and well stocked> That bottlebrush tree is to die for
    Pam, I am with you about the strawberry pot! I think we could make those

Ragna and Patty, I looked for y'all at It's About Thyme but never thought about Cross Plants. I had only heard about it and have driven by (after hours) never been there
    I can't wait to go now
    Thanks for posting the pix

• chargreen
    9 years ago

I went to Cross Plants today. They remembered you and that you bought the dyckia. They had a nice selection of plants and were very nice.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Wonderful, luscious post! I love posts about nursery-hopping, especially those complete with photos.

---and the widdle horsies are just the most pwecious widdle things, yesum is! I want to rub their little noggins.

I hit It's About Thyme last month after a rose-pal recommended them. They had Dittany of Crete! And allspice trees.

So far the favorite Austin area places I've visited are The Natural Gardener (heaven) & Barton Creek (tons of natives & other perennials in 4" pots for $2.

I hope to hit these new-to-me places on my next nursery-hopping tour.

• angiebangie
    9 years ago

Oh, FUN!!! I'm in Georgetown and have only made it to the local nurseries here. I see a gardening field trip in my future!

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Wonderful post roselee, I love seeing the different home grown nurseries, wish they were closer to me.
    Amarillo is having a three day Gardenfest, May 9-11 at the Botanical Gardens this weekend with a sale involving several local nurseries on Saturday the 10th. I have never been before, but will definitely make it this year. We all really need to support our area Nurseries, you know how difficult it must be to keep these small business's thriving.
    Debra

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Thanks for post, Roselee. We visited Minnie's Nursery today. What a really sweet lady she is! She and her husband were out by the road, but she invited us to go ahead, by ourselves, and have a look around her greenhouse. We found some really interesting plants and brought them back to her. She explained what everything was and the prices were excellent. Some of what we got were: two Blue Niles, a tall succulent, two jasmines, an olive tree that was a really good size, one bush with a lavender bloom, and some smaller plants! We thoroughly enjoyed our day!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for looking and for commenting.

Irene, glad you and Doug went out to Aunt Minnie's place and found some interesting plants.

Like Debra and many of you I really appreciate and intend to support the independent nurseries as well as other small businesses.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

we`ll have to visit some of those nurseries when we come up in May
    We went to Noreens, Ferrills Foliage, in Cleveland on our way home from the SETexas swap. she has an enormous greenhouse and specializes in gingers.

Tally Ho!

• MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

roselee.... just happened to read this post, is aunt Minnie still open?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh wow -- that was a fun day! I've emailed Aunt Minnie's niece, Lesli, to see if she's still open. Last I heard she was planning to close, but she'd said that before.

• MsRed Byrd
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

YES , we would love to go again!!!1. ....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting