Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sago Palm

Posted by mantisman 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 6:16

My four mature Sagos froze back this winter. I cut the fronds off this spring and three of them have come back fine.The fourth one has just now put out a set of fronds. It was also the last one to come back last year. The problem is that the fronds are deformed. They are kind of stunted and curly. Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't know if I should cut these off or just leave it alone.
I hope it hasn't been permanently damaged.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sago Palm

• Posted by allen 8-b Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, May 25, 11 at 17:34

Dont cut them back, theyare supplying food for next year. Engoy the wierd growth next year it will be fine Allen

o
RE: Sago Palm

Does this sound like what you are talking about:

A condition called frizzle top is probably the most common problem. This is a manganese deficiency causing the new leaves or upper leaves to turn yellow. This will start as spots and eventually the entire leaf is covered. There is a way to correct this. Spray the leaves with manganese sulfate. Once a month for three months mix one teaspoon of manganese sulfate per gallon of water. You can also apply one to five pounds (gauging with the size of the plant) of manganese to the soil in the springtime to correct or prevent the problem. Along with this recommendation, it is always wise to have a soil pH check and to check the moisture content of the soil. As always, too much water and less than desirable drainage will cause root damage. If that is the case, the sago will be unable to absorb the nutrients.

For more information check out: http://www.emilycompost.com/sago_palm1.htm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here