Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nugget5

How do you get rid of Dollar Weed (Penneywort)

nugget5
15 years ago

HELP! I've been invaded by Dollar Weed in my St. Augustine! The grass is too thick to pull it up by hand and I don't won't to kill the grass! How do I get rid of this pest? Thanks! :)

Comments (24)

• houstonmellie
    15 years ago

I need help with this too. It just showed up for the first time this year in my grass. HELP!!

• WOODSGRANNY
    15 years ago

go to a feed store,or farm supply and ask for 2-4-D
    you probably can't get it,but can get something comperable(?)mispell...if you know anyone than sprays a lot of acreage they can get it.mix and paint it on the leaves.i think the name i got last year was HI-YIELD. hope that helps. patricia

• nugget5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the help! Luckily, I don't have it in my flowerbeds -- just the St. Augustine. :)

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

BEFOR you put any weed killing product on St. Augustine, carefully read the label. Even products such as Bonus S tells you not to use the product under the drip line of trees or around shrubs and other valuable plants.

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

Also, Wipe Out acts much the same as Roundup. It kills weeds AND grass! You've been given some very questionable advice.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

We do not feel that you have been given any questionable advise. It was recommended to us by a nursery in Rockport Texas when we were fighting dollar weed. It is a product of green light. We have been using it for over 5 years on our st augustine grass, and have never had any adverse effects to the grass, it is for broad leaf weed killer, it will not hurt your grass. Do not use in your flowerbeds, it will not hurt most flowers, but will kill anything from the herb family. I would think if any adverse affects to st. augustine grass came from using green light, wipe out, it would be related to impoper application. As with any other product. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

I just went on the internet, and it says it is for all types of lawns, not just st augustine, it takes about 10 days before you see all the dollar weed dry up and die. It is not overnight. I have posted the attached add for it.
    GREEN LIGHT 12332 "WIPE OUT" BROADLEAF WEED KILLER 1QUART
    This is the best product we have found to kill the dollar weed at the coast( we are in Rockport), but we have to bring it from San Antonio, they are always sold out at the nurseries, and Wal-Mart, sometimes we can find at Lowes. Barbra,

Catalog and Web only
    ACE# 71948
    MFR# 12332
    Price: $8.49
    Qty

Product images may differ from actual product appearance.

In stock, normally ships within one to two business days

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"WIPE OUT" BROADLEAF WEED KILLER

Quart
    Covers 9,000 sq.ft.
    For Bermuda, St. Augustine & other lawn grass
    Controls chickweed, clover, cocklebur, dandelion, henbit, oxalis, poison ivy, purslane, ragweed, thistle, spurge & others
    Contains Trimec

There are No Items in your shopping cart
    Enter Quantity, then Add to cart
    "WIPE OUT" BROADLEAF WEED KILLER

Quart
    Covers 9,000 sq.ft.
    For Bermuda, St. Augustine & other lawn grass
    Controls chickweed, clover, cocklebur, dandelion, henbit, oxalis, poison ivy, purslane, ragweed, thistle, spurge & others
    Contains Trimec

Enter Quantity, then Add to cart

We ship within US, Canada, Europe and Internationally
    About Us : Terms And Conditions : Shipping from Warehouse across US : Returns Policy : Privacy Statement : Having Problems with our Shopping Cart?

We are an authorized Ace Hardware Dealer shipping from Warehouses across the US. If you need assistance with ordering or experiencing website problems please email us at
    Copyright 2002 - 2008. All rights reserved. sales@acehardwareoutlet.com

• nugget5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again to all the responses! I think I will check with my local nurseryman to see if he recommends Wipe-Out or another product. I was told by another person that Wipe-Out works best in cool weather. We live in Huntsville (near Houston) so the cool weather looks like a thing of the past this coming week. Thanks again, Happy Gardening and Happy Memorial Day weekend. Stay Safe! Jeani

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

I would recommend that you check with your local nurseryman, that is what we did. The wipe-out by greenlight that we use at our coastal home near Corpus Christi, can only be applied if it tempature is above 70 degrees. I am not aware of the other product that is used in cool weather. We only have problems with dollar weed in the spring and summer when it is well above 70 degrees. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Why did you post the question in the first place? You are listening to folks who have never used this product. I am so sorry I waisted my time trying to help you. I have not posted on this forum since October, and noticed that most of the older members are no longer posting, now I know why. Barbra,

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

Suggest you check the web site: aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswer/turf/turfweed.html. Now, Barbra, sorry you have a problem with people disagreeing with you. I have been maintaining my St. Augustine lawn organically for 37 years. Have seen neighbors kill their lawns, shrubs and perennials with products labeled for "southern lawns". I personally use corn gluten meal as a preemergent. If I have a perennial weed I spot treat itwith 15% vinegar.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

We also use corn gluton meal twice a year, in April and October as a per emergent. We also use molasses and gound alfalfa as fertizer, also cracked corn meal to treat fungus in our St Augustine and Flo-Tam Grass. We tried the 10% vinegar to kill bermuda grass, but it spread and killed all the other desired grass around it for 2 ft, we will never make that mistake again. It will not kill dollar weed, neither will round up( purple cap). My husband plans to use the vinegar with orange oil to kill ant mounds. We put down living mulch in March, and then benifical nematides twice a year to treat grubs, ants, and flees, as soon as we see the fist june bug, we spray them in our yard. Our yards are emerald green. We have an acre with beautiful tropical flower beds in Rockport, plus an over sized lot in San Antonio. I had members from this forum, visit both places. My father was an organic Texas farmer, I use to dust his brockley, cabbage, and tomotoes with self rising flour when I was a small child, it kills tomoto worms. I am over 60 years old. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Correction 20% vinegar(type-o) Barbra,

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

Well I'll tell you one that has me stumpted. Wild strawberries. Presume they were planted by birds.

• houstonmellie
    15 years ago

I love the self rising flour idea for tomatoes. I am over run with worms this year eating everything and I hate to use pesticides. Thanks for the idea!!

• txmom
    15 years ago

How do I know what kind of weed I have? I have this grassy-like weed. It grows from a center point and radiates out. When I pull it out it is fairly easy to get it out, but there is so much of it! And it is there every spring.
    Ideas?

• bigoledude
    15 years ago

The active ingredient in Bonus-S is atrazine. Buying Bonus-S is an outrageously expensive way to get atrazine. I don't like this stuff for reasons you will see below. However, it was the only product that really worked.

It is available in liquid form and, one bottle will cover a whole-lotta ground! It will not kill your St. Augustine but, will absolutely kill the dollar weed. Dollar Weed has those numerous long rhizomes and, regardless of how well you spray, it seems that some of these rhizomes survive. It may take several applications to completely eradicate your dollar weed.

Atrazine was responsible for ruining my vegetable garden the year Katrina hit (2005). It killed a couple of my citrus trees also. Atrazine hangs around in the soil for a looong time. So, pay close attention to where your lawn drains. Any rain-water containing atrazine that drains near plants you like may kill them. This applies whether you use it in the liquid form or in Bonus-S.

Ray

• merrymj
    8 years ago

Eat your dollar weed! Google it.

• PRO
    Texas Amaryllis Nursery
    8 years ago

Honeybunny2 is correct about WipeOut and texasredhead is wrong that WipeOut is the same as Roundup. However, what texasredhead is referring to is another Greenlight product called WipeUp, which does contain glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup. I have seen this confusion many times. I used to tell my students that if they recommend one or the other, to write it down, similar to a prescription, so the wrong product was not purchased. One student heard an employee in an orange big box store recommend that a customer spray Wipeup on their lawn to get rid of weeds! I am sure the marketing people thought it was cute to use the Wipe in the names but it leads to a lot of confusion if the labels are not read; which they should always be read! I used WipeOut for many years on my Bermuda/St.Augustine mixed lawn. Note, the rate for St. Augustine is lower than on Bermuda as St. Augustine is more sensitive to the phenoxy herbicide ingredients. Works great on broadleaf weeds. The active ingredients work better in warmer weather if the weeds are actively growing and not drought stressed. Penoxsulam is another active ingredient that can be used to control Dollar Weed.

• Betsy Prince
    6 years ago

I am been fighting dollar weed for 10 years at our vacation home on the coast of Florida. It is present in one flower bed that has shade all afternoon. I use a long screwdriver to dig in the soil and to try to pull up the pipeline roots but in the areas where it travels through the roots of my ferns or roses the pipeline roots break. Four to six weeks later when I return to this home, dollar weed is prevalent, again. Any suggestions?

• Irving Ragweed (Austin 8b)
    6 years ago

txmom: Your lawn weed sounds like (yellow) nutsedge. Can you post a photo?

• mistiaggie
    6 years ago

Don't fight it. Stop spraying chemicals. Polyculture > monoculture.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Betsy Prince, can you possibly do less irrigation in the bed where it is growing? Dollar weed likes plenty of water . My former next door neighbors over watered their St. Augustine lawn and had lots of dollar weed growing in it. They moved. The present neighbors water less. The lawn is fine and the dollar weed died out.

Or would it be possible to cover the ground in the flower bed where the dollar weed is growing with card board and mulch right up to the stems of the plants you want to keep in order smother the dollar weed?