Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenias in Central Texas?

Posted by runjbells 8b/Austin area (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 8:50

My 8 year old fell in love with the August Beauty Gardenia she saw at the gardening center last night. I held off from buying it because I've always considered it hard to grow - like a hydrangea. However, I told her I would research it and maybe get it today. We have tons of shade! While I appreciate that in the summer, we would still enjoy some more flowering shade tolerant bushes that won't get huge (I already have Turk's cap). Has anyone had any luck growing these or anything else that might give us some color in the shade and not be HUGE! ? Thanks a bunch!

Oh. I did try an Oakleaf Hydrangea. It DID (past tense) great. Unfortunately, it got too much water with all the rain we had (and I'm sure powerwashing the house didn't help either) and died on me! I can't find another one - anyone in Austin had luck finding one recently?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenias in Central Texas?

They do better with afternoon shade. Use gardenia food on it and it will do ok. This picture is from 2005.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

ooooh! That's pretty. We'll get the Gardenia food and try it! Thanks for the help.

o

I can remember in the late 50's (dating myself, I know) my mom had a hedge of gardenias and it was really beautiful when in bloom, and smelled wonderful. I also remember white flies being a BIG problem, and I think thrips too. And the individual blooms didn't last very long. Just seems to me Oakleaf Hydrangea has more interesting characteristics, so I will be trying to find a replacement for my PeeWee Oakleaf that succumbed to the drenching too. I think it's a little early for Oakleafs to be in the garden centers - seems they show up after the standard hydrangea offerings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here