Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterfliesarefree_gw

Hi, new here

butterfliesarefree
10 years ago

Hello, we are moving a few miles south of Buda.

Can anyone tell me how the gardening is in that area. I have had people tell me it is on caliche, limestone and bedrock
Which is closest? Are they all correct? I know there must be lots of rocks because everyone in the neighborhood have the flower beds surrounded by the same baseball size and larger rocks, lol but most seemed to be raised.

The times we have been to the new to us house, no one has been outside to talk to, lol

We are moving from east Tx where the soil level went to middle earth to.......

Thanks for any help

Comments (14)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Welcome to this forum. There are great people here to give you ideas. My guess is it is the same as here in San Antonio and in Austin.....all three.

Kathy

• butterfliesarefree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Plantmaven, so you are in San Antonio and your garden area is made up of all of the above ? That must make gardening exciting. Thanks again

• whitecap
    10 years ago

You'll just have to stick a shovel into the ground. Most of us subdivision dwellers sit on 6" or so of clay based topsoil, which can be amended to support a wide range of plants, even those creating a lush, tropical ambiance, should you desire (assuming you enjoy some shade).

• butterfliesarefree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I can't wait to start shoveling!
    Small pockets of shade, thankfully most of the plants I am bringing are part/full sun

I believe at one time it was more park like with a lot of trees but there are several big stumps on the property.
    When I first googled mapped it, there were large trees where they extended the patio, the realtor said they were cut down for the extension!?!
    Thanks for the input!

• whitecap
    10 years ago

Be sure to check out the landscaping at Cabela's.

• robyn_tx
    10 years ago

Welcome to the forum. One significant difference you'll find is that, in east Texas, your soil was likely much more acidic that what you'll find anywhere in central Texas. So pines are replaced with oaks, azaleas are replaced with sages, etc. And there will probably be much less rainfall than what you're used to.

There are lots of things that grow well - even on caliche - and whitecap's suggestion of checking out Cabela's landscaping will inspire you to ID things that do well in central Texas. You might also take a trip to the S.A. Botanical Gardens, which has some beautiful exhibits of water-wise landscapes.

Good luck!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Just want to say welcome to the Texas forum!

• butterfliesarefree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Whitecap, I will look around Cabela's. I bet hubs will even want to be involved in that expedition, lol
    Thank you Robyn
    Sages and grasses are favorites, but all of mine have always been in pots.

Thank you Roselee, I have been reading Tx gardening posts for a few hours now, there is a lot of good info!

• whitecap
    10 years ago

Lots of inspirational landscaping in SA: La Cantera, TPC Parkway, Los Patios, the Ney Museum, the Alamo Heights area and, of course, BassPro.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm new here, too, and we have found everyone to be very helpful. I met a few at the local garden swap and they were just as friendly there, too. We usually amend our soil if we put plants in the ground. We also do a lot of container gardening. So far, we've had very good luck with both the container plants and the ground plants..... with a little help from here.

The folks here on the forum are just great!.

• whitecap
    10 years ago

Oops! Ney = McNay.

• butterfliesarefree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again, just wanted to say "hey" and tell you how great all of my plants are doing and to thank you again for the help
    I still don't have every thing planted but I had a lot of plants in pots, lol
    Cabela's landscaping is so beautiful! There is a shopping center in South Austin that has great plants as well.
    We have had steady rain since moving in which is making up for the horrible move, lol
    The soil is great but very rocky but I don't mind, I get free edging
    Thanks again for the tips and hospitality. Sorry it took so long to get back here

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago

Your welcome! I work at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens and we have a whole area called Watersaver Lane where you can get an idea of what manicured, cottage and Spanish style xeriscaping looks like. You'd be surprised these days with what a little bit of topsoil and compost can do.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Just incase you have not figured it out yet, NOW is the time fore planting trees and perennials, and shrubs. Gardeners are all very dirt right now . I am north west of you by 40 minutes drive. My dirt is rocky to none existent also. Raised beds are the way to go. I have a 16' trailer just to haul in dirt by bulk. It has paid itself back over and over.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz