Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluehaven_gweb

Hydrangeas in Texas

bluehaven_gweb
10 years ago

Has anyone been successful in keeping hydrangeas healthy & flowering in the heat here? Any suggestions. I saw a beautiful endless summer hydrangea & so tempted to buy one. Now want to know if it'll do well in Houston.

Comments (16)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I am in North Texas and mine return each year and bloom. They just require a lot of water and fertilizer.

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

I am northwest of Houston and have quite a few hydrangeas and I am really pleased with them. I have never purchased one, but have received cuttings through the years. It's important to provide them with some protection from the hot afternoon sun and plenty of water (particularly the first couple of years).
    Molly

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous, Molly............like the brug bloom as well.

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

I planted a Endless summer several years ago and the first flush is impressive but after that it only tends to give me one bloom every so often, at least that's been my experience. My hydrangeas prefer morning sun and afternoon shade and love to be watered.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

About 60 years ago I saw my first hydrangeas in the Heights in Houston. The grew front to back on the side of my cousin's grandmother's house.
    I was visiting from the McAllen, TX area and had never seen them.
    Molly! those are super.

• bossyvossy
    10 years ago

I grow a NOID in the shade. In its third yr. be prepared to water daily w/o fail, extremely thirsty plant (the thirstiest) in my garden.

• zippity1
    10 years ago

i have two on the east side of the house, very sandy soil here but we have an irrigation system which i feel is the key to keeping mine thriving the past 12 years

• Gretchen W.
    10 years ago

I live in Carrollton, Texas and my Hydrangeas do very well. Like Carrie said lots of water and fertilizer is the key. If it gets really hot I have been known to put an umbrella sideways to help protect them. Mine are planted in a shaded area of my front yard.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

I have seen them doing just great down in Jones Creek area.

• msrose
    10 years ago

Does anyone grow Oakleaf hydrangeas? Just wondering if they need as much water?

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

I have 2 oakleaf hydrangeas and I find that they require more water than the mopheads or lacecap hydrangeas. They do make a beautiful shrub and are very maintenance-free because they require no pruning or deadheading in order to bloom well.
    Molly

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

I have 2 oakleaf hydrangeas and I find that they require more water than the mopheads or lacecap hydrangeas. They do make a beautiful shrub and are very maintenance-free because they require no pruning or deadheading in order to bloom well.
    Molly

• melvalena
    10 years ago

My oak leafs do much better than the others. They are bigger, and flower much more. They were all planted around the same time.

I am not a good hydrangea mommy. Mine suffer, but hang in there. I don't water or fertilize like the other posters do.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I don't have Oak Leaf, but tend to remedy that this year. I do have a big lace cap from the Seattle area, and it grows quite big, This winter has been really hard on it, but it is now looking robust again.

• kqnash
    9 years ago

I had a huge one in TN I never watered it. It did get some water from the A/C drain. Was hoping it would be the same here. Put one in with morning sun, shade starts about noon. Some of the new leaves look shrunken. As my pistache grows it will get less sun. I'm counting on this thriving as it's my favorite. Anyone know why cardinals always seemed to like it?