Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

Which flowering plants do you grow in dappled sun??

carrie751
11 years ago

I have an area that I need some color in, and it gets only morning sun........would you tell me what you grow that blooms (a lot) under these conditions?

Comments (27)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Turk's cap, spiderwort and begonias. Dianthus and hydrangea too!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

What grows great for me in morning and dappled sun is shrimp plants. They grow quickly into big billowing plants to fill up the beds thickly so that no weeds can grow under them. And then they bloom continually until a hard freeze. If we have a mild winter like last winter in San Antonio and they don't freeze back they bloom all winter. I have several kinds in at least three different beds. My favorites are the red ones and the fruit cocktail variety.

They're drought tolerant, have no diseases, no bugs eating them and they always look fresh. I also like the fact that the stems snap easily if they over hang the walk so they are easy to control.

What a great plant! Scott Ogden recommends them for dry shade. I have about five or six varieties, some of them new (for me) swap plants.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And I have three varieties of them to propagate from. I love shrimp plant as well.
    Pam, I already have Turk's cap and dianthus in that bed, but hydrangeas are a thought.
    Thanks to both of you.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Strawberry begonia if there is a bit of watering available. Phlox pilosa, Salvia coccinea, mexican orregano, salvia mexicana, Salvia involcrata, Salvia roemeriana. Greek pattern plant, mock rose,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Dappled morning sun, I have snapdragons, gaura, bleeding heart, gerber dasies, tropical hibiscus( hardy need full sun), iochroma, brugmansia, datura, and siam tulips. To add more color in the background I have dark burgandy ti plants, and variegated gingers. Barbra

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Salvia coccinea, Texas Betony, Zexmenia, Purple Coneflower, Turk's Cap, Pavonia (Rock Rose)

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

One of my favorites doesn't bloom, it's polka dot plant.

I have Pink Plume plant and Maracas with polka dot plant.

I also have white cat whiskers with them in a really big pot.This is a new combination for me this year. I hope that something will be blooming all the time.
    c

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Here is a link to buy seeds. I've kept my plant from last year. Found it at Calloways in the summer. Might be tempting to grow a lot of them. I find them intriguing and didn't see them for several years.

Here is a link that might be useful: maracas

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

iris, beauty berry, scopion flower, confederate jasmine, Salvia penstemonoides, echeandia texana, bulbinella, Salvia madrensis, scuteleria ovata, SALVIA REGLA, Penstemon tenuis, salvia lyrata.oxalis, aristolochia fimbriata

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have betony, coneflower and Turk's cap already in that bed, and Cynthia, put in four polka dot plants yesterday and some agastachhe that I found on sale at Lowe's. I also saw that my coleus has reseeded again, and they will be filling in nicely soon. Thanks so much for all the suggestions and I love the maracas ....... will be on the lookout for one of those.
    Barbra, I envy the plants that you can grow that won't survive here. I do already have two kinds of ginger in this bed, but many of those you have will not survive here.
    Thanks again, felllow gardeners.....you are the best.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

What a great thread! I'll be saving this for ideas for ALL of my beds, as dappled shade is about the best I can hope for.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

What won't grow in morning sun and dappled shade?

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

what won't grow or what won't flower? Or both?
    Roses, zinnias, cone flowers, rudbecia, esperanza, hibiscus, duranta, most salvias, passion flowers, cuphea, perriwinkles, bouganvilla

Hey, if I'm wrong please tell me...I'm still hoping!

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Carrie, if you are a gambler try Thryallis. Mine just started to bloom. Mine froze one year, but came back from the root. It blooms until the first cold snap.

One article states they will bloom in shade, just not as proflic.

"The best usage I have found is massive plantings under taller trees to bring the landscape "together" as one cohesive planting and often these beauties were planted with another one of my favorites Plumbago"
    By DEE DEE JACOBSON : The Green Thumb
    Published: July 13, 2009 Updated: July 13, 2009 - 12:00 AM

I had not thought of planting plumbago in front of it. I am going to move one of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the plant, but it says to zone 9............plumbago doesn't even return often for me, so I have two in containers.

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Impatients!! They are annuals but they are very cheap and grow in no time. Also, aucuba,four o'clock (invasive), callicarpa, columbines,tradescantia and helleborus. If plenty of water is available, ginger,hostas and heucheras.

Omar

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Omar, I just found some New Guinea impatiens on sale, and have them planted there now............still room for more "stuff", so will be watching the sales at Lowe's and other places. All have been very helpful....thanks !!!!!

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

If that's the same as partial sun, or bright shade, I grow two heat tolerant varieties of hosta (potted), caladiums,ixora (potted and in ground),tropical hibiscus(red),re-blooming hydrangea(potted), mandevilla (potted),African iris, bleeding heart(potted)and duranta.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dappled sun is shining throught the tree branches, Ann, and I am in North Texas so need something that will survive up here, but thanks for your suggestions.

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

Hmm.. well I think some of this does, but it would be earlier than I am ever outside to look. It gets hot early. I can watch and see for a bit. Maybe take some pics.
    What challenges do you face, specific to No. Texas? It seems like hydrangeas would fare better there than they do here. At least I think I've seen lots of posts about them on the hydrangea forum.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I already have hydrangeas, and yes, they do quite well up here.

• susan75023
    11 years ago

Hey Carrie, maybe I have dappled shade instead of dappled sun.........but this is what I grow there. Wood Ferns (from you), hostas, Kimberly Fern, sun coleus, Dragon Wing Begonia (must have), tall Ginger, Oriental Lilies, phlox (tall), and elephant ears. As you know, I have to try to have every plant in the universe so these HAVE to grow in the dappled sun/shade bed. The Dragon Wings are in red and are like jewels....bloom all season and I take cuttings. A decent house plant. Sun coleus gives spectacular color, too. I listed some just green but you will spot that in a heartbeat.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have never tried the Dragon Wing Begonia......will be looking for them. I have ginger, phlox and elephant ears already, and I have had the sun caladiums before. Thanks for the suggestions, Susan, your garden is so beautiful. I wish you would post pics so others could see it.

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Carrie, you may want to check Lowe's or HD. Sometimes they carry small DWB very cheap.

Omar

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Omar !!!

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I agree with Omar. But look up: I've gotten the best DWB in hanging baskets!

This isn't a flower but my blackbird euphorbia gives me great joy and it did not freeze...but I only had it last winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: blackbird

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks...............