Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black eyed susan vine

Posted by strebber (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 9:38

Hi All! First time poster, long time lurker!
I've heard that the black eyed susan vine is one of the easiest vines to grow, and mine is growing heartily, but no blooms! Any advice? It gets about four hours of afternoon sun right now. Maybe that's not enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black eyed susan vine

Mine doesn't bloom until late summer.

o

Yes, much too early for blooms.

o

Thank you all so much for the quick responses! I wondered about the blooms because I saw this vine for sale in a local nursery, and it had blooms all over it. I'll be patient!!!

o

They give them hormones to make them bloom early, thus the ones in the nursery will be blooming. Mine has a couple of blooms on it but it doesn't go all the way dormant here. Watch it, mine tries to take over the back yard. And it self-sows everywhere it doesn't send up a runner. Just do what I do and hack mercilessly.
Tally Ho!

o

November 12, 2005

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Blushing Susan Vine, 1st bloom, July 2006
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!! I'm growing some from seeds this year. Can't wait for it to get as big as the one in the pics and start showing its stuff.

o

They are an annual vine. They will freeze. You will have to replant them each year. I have about 20 coming up the garden from last years seeds.

This year I am going to try to keep some alive in the house over the winter. Maybe I can get one up and growing sooner.

o

Will this grow in mostly shade with filtered afternoon sun? What do you think?

o

Wow that is so pretty...I think I have some seed that I didn't get planted last year...after seeing that...I want to go get it out and start planting...

o

We purchased one from a nursery in May, it was about 3'high and in a pot. We put it inside in about 6 hrs of filterd sunlight. It has exploded in size. We've added a 6' metal trellis and it has consumed it also. My problem is that it seems heavily "top loaded", and the bottom is becoming thin or sparse. Can I prune it back at the top to force it into a "busier" stance. We love the plant, and are going to try to keep it alive inside. Will it go through a dormant period?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here