Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

I don't know whether anyone cares about this, but

Ann_in_Houston
11 years ago

there is no flower called impatients or impatience. It's impatiens. I would never correct anyone directly, and maybe nothing will change, but I like to know the right name for plants because sometimes you have to look them up and it's just helpful. I like to know the name of anything that has a name, but with plants it sometimes matters more.

Okay, carry on. Don't hate me for being bold enough to post about it.

Comments (14)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Glad you got that off your chest! I think that we all knew that it was impatiens. I find that when I google a misspelled name, I can still find what I'm looking for :-)

Pam

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

It was years before I realized that impatiens was not spelled like it sounds. I thought they were named that because they were 'impatient' to bloom, especially since a common name for them is "Busy Lizzie". I figured since they are were always covered in flowers they came by that name naturally being that they are so busy and just couldn't wait to bloom :-) Oh well, live and learn. It was a nice story in my mind anyway.

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Yes, Ma'am. Some of us do care and we stand corrected. Please don't be impatiens. :D

Omar

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Omar, you are so funny.................

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam, I know lots of people do know that there's no 't', but lots don't. I see it more that way than the other, even on signs in nurseries.
    If it doesn't bother you, then you're a lucky web user.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

I don't care. Anyone who spells as bad as I do, couldn't even post if it wasn't for spell check. As long as it's close enough for me to get the drift of what the person is talking about, I'm good. What is actually more confusing to me are very common names that are used for several completely different plants, like 'Butterfly bush', Firecracker plant', 'Bird of paradise', or 'Shrimp plant'. With these, I like to include the botanical name, or at least give a description so people will not have to guess which plant I'm talking about.

Jim

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I noticed there is a butterfly bush and also a butterfly weed. As far as I can tell, they are completely different plants. I don't like long names like Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. I'd rather see brunfelsia, even if it's spelled wrong. Of course, YTT also works for me, but I don't know how many folks know what that is.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

I'm with the Boss and Pam on this one. No one is going to die or get maimed because the name of a plant is misspelled here on a casual gardening forum. I have to really really try hard to misspell something so bad that google can't figure out what I'm looking for!

We could always delve into there vs their and here vs hear if we're going to get all picky, but it is so much easier and much more pleasant for everyone to just over look it.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I am not at all bothered by mis-spelled names, but it really, really bugs me when the plant LABEL has only a common name or cultivar name....no botanical, grrrrrrr!

• phasv2
    11 years ago

I thought it was common knowledge. I'd have to say that, so far, the only thing that really bothers me about gardening is that I have SO much to learn! I find myself browsing catalogs, and then looking up items I'm interested in for hours. I just don't like planting something, and then finding out later that the reason it didn't work out is because I did it wrong.

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

re: jardineratx's zero botanical . . .

My peeve is when the label says "4-inch annual". Seriously? That's all you can give me?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I think we have all learned that when the label says "full sun", it does NOT mean full TEXAS sun. I was a really quick study on that one.

• dogwind
    11 years ago

you're right. I don't care

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Nope, I don't care either, got other things to worry about...