Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

Is this a dumb idea?

Ann_in_Houston
10 years ago

I have a large cyclamen and a mona lavender that are both going to hate it when the weather gets hot. These are two of my favorites, of course, and they are really big and gorgeous. I have a section of my porch that provides very deep shade but when it gets hot, that's not enough for these plants, of course. We know this about Houston. If I mount a fan that can blow almost all the time, and keep this area cool, will they 'summer over' until their bloom seasons, the way other plants are 'wintered over' in cold climates? I don't expect flowers, just that they not die until fall.

Comments (9)

• melvalena
    10 years ago

I don't know about Houston but up here I used to bring the cyclamen indoors for the summer. (Don't have any right now)

The mona lavender stays outside in dappled shade.
    Perhaps its not so much the heat that gets yours but the humidity?

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

I have never been able to get the Mona Lavander to survive a summer here, but I imagine if you move it into a shady "cooler' spot, it may struggle for a few months, then perk up with fall temps.
    I have been successful letting my cyclamen go into summer dormancy by withholding water, placing the container in a shady corner, then repotting in the fall for fall/winter color. I have also dug up the cyclamen tubers and stored them till fall. Storing them has actually been easier for me.
    Molly

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

cyclamen make lovely house plants....don't have one now either. Mona Lavender is happy in bright shade here in Arlington, but can't take our winters. Sigh....

• beachplant
    10 years ago

throw them out and quit buying them. Girl, you have been through summer in Houston, would sitting on the porch with a fan keep you cool all summer? I love bearded iris but just walk on by those tempting rhizomes.
    Tally HO!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really, Tally, you don't have anything you try to work with, that aren't perfectly suited for Galveston? That cyclamen has new blooms on it and the lavender is doing fine, so far. If they start to wilt, I'll bring in the cyclamen and cut the lavender way back. You'd have to see how dark this corner is to imagine how cool it could be with a fan. Besides, it's right by our hot tub and that may make it bearable for us to use it in the summer.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Of course we all try things that are not the best idea for our climates. Sometimes we are lucky and they grow for us, but I'm not sure a fan would help cool them down unless there is a lot of moisture in the area for evaporation. As you know the reason fans cool our skin is the moisture from perspiration evaporates. The cooling effect has something to do with energy exchanges. A mister would probably cool the area better than a fan. And then the humidity would need to be fairly low in order for evaporation to occur to offer cooling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Misting system ...

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did consider a misting system, but was afraid it would be too humid for those plants. I just don't really know their requirements. If this doesn't work, it's no big deal. I buy them with the mindset that it's cheaper than a flower arrangement and for a longer time span. Then, when one of them really thrives, I start to get dreams of saving it. I just like to figure ways to rig stuff up, too.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Nope, you live or die at this yard. I buy some things that I know won`t last long and use them as annuals. Dig them up, toss them in the compost and plant something else.
    Tally HO!

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, that's how these start out and then their unusual level of success grabs hold of my heart and I scheme to save them. Of course, if they succumb, I knew it was the chance I took.