Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frida999

Can i plant during the summer?

frida999
11 years ago

Will it work to plant drought resistant plants during the summer or do I need to wait until fall?

Comments (11)

• seamommy
    11 years ago

It's touch and go even now because it's been so dry this Spring. I planted some blanket flowers a couple weeks ago and they look terrible now. With temps in the 90s I've had to hand water, lugging a bucket up the hill to them. If you can keep your plants adequately moist for several weeks or until you see new growth on them after planting they should be ok. After they get established taper off the regular watering rather than going cold turkey.

• frida999
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks that's very helpful.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

If I plant in the heat I put an opened ended cardboard around the plant until I can tell it is perking up. the top flaps can be opened or closed as the sun moves. I put a brick or something under the bottom of the box for air circulation.

Also dig your hole and fill it with water until the soil is "soupy". Then plant. This is an old TX way told to me about 40 years ago by on old lady. This keeps the dry soil around it from leeching the water from you planting.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Good advice, and I actually let the water in the hole completely get absorbed, then fill it a second time before covering the plant roots.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I do the same thing carrie!

There was a great article in the Dallas paper last month. A Plano couple featured with thie drought tolerant landscape. They told the truth
    Said the 1st year they were watering every day.

Last year they just watered a few times all summer. It helps put it in perspective.

BTW I have a weaknedd for the June plant sales. But I know I will have to baby those plants all summer long

c

c

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I have discovered that I can still plant plants, but they cannot be planted in the morning or afternoon. I have to wait until after sundown. I usually dig the holes, and have everything in place during the afternoon, then in the evening I just plant the plants and water. If I plant anything in the early morning around 6:30am, I have to protect it from the sun the first day( usually cover with a much larger pot. I still only get a 50% success rate. I found it much more successful to wait until the evening to plant. I will not plant anything in the months of June, July or August, that would be just throwing money away. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

I do the same as Barbra and plant in the evening with everything prepared during the day.

Soak the plant and the hole and be prepared to cover. I have pretty good success.

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

Wow! Even in humid Houston,those are good tips. Thanks.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Is anyone using this week of lower temps and wet soil to plant stuff. My hands have been dirty all day and I would not like to describe my pants.. I put some things in from the plant swap that I thought I would have to wait till fall to get into the ground. What a gift!!!

I made a prety big wa;;ow in the ground and improved the soil under it and put a thick mulch above it and gave it good thick high walls to hold water. AND YES I DID WATER the wet ground.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I finally put in my caladium bulbs, some great sun coleus and a bed of sun and shad coleus. the plants were sitting there along with 12 pentas for more than a week. they are growing like weeds from the sheer joy of getting their roots into the ground.

Oh went for 3 of the exotic coneflowers too. Hope the rain doesn't bring fungus with it.
    c

• frida999
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great info! I was going to try to plant this summer, but since I'm redoing my front AND backyard and considering the expense, I think I'm going to wait 'til fall. I would be so sad to lose plants. The weather has been fantastic but I'm still working on preparing beds so I don't think I'll be able to get to it in time to beat the heat. And if we went out of town I don't think I could leave them in the hands of someone else. I would have to call to check on them the way I have to check on my dogs when out of town. :) Oh, the tip on the cardboard and the pot over the new plant is something I've never heard before. Who comes up with this stuff?

BTW, I love, love, love this forum. I find out so much that I wouldn't surfing the net for hours for plant info. Everyone is wonderful for helping everyone out. Maybe one day I'll know enough to answer questions!!!