Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

Vinca vine, tuber ID with pic

Lynn Marie
11 years ago

Good morning, gardeners!

My wonderful husband installed a little pond for me for mother's day, and in the process had to dig out some vinca vine (YAY!) and tubers. I don't know if the tubers belong to the vinca vine (does this stuff even make tubers?) or something else I've planted over the years that the vinca choked out, like dahlia maybe? Is it even possible to identify a tuber?

From Around the yard and garden

Thanks!

Comments (28)

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pic of the pond. I was so excited when they unveiled it!

From Around the yard and garden

Any landscaping, rockscaping suggestions???

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I haven't dug any up for awhile, but do they remind anybody else of four o'clock tubers? It's amazing how long they can remain dormant in the ground.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

In my recollection, and it's been a long time since I dug either, but they do more closely resemble four o'clocks than dalias.

I like you pond. I bet you will really enjoy that.

Jim

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I thought 4 oclock tubers looked like hat thighs and skinny calves. I will NEVER forget them. I dug out one that was 4' long!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what these are but I don't think they are 4 o'clock..

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Could they be sweet potato vine tubers?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Maybe just plant one in a pot and see what comes up!

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Greenbriar has tubers.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

That is what I was thinking, Kathy. Where are you Lin? You posted pix of one of the largest tubers I had ever seen. Could you weigh in on this and give us your opinion?

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

They don't look like greenbriar tubers to me - the outside of those are white. Here next to my size-8 shoes are some greenbriar/smilax that I dug up:

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Well, it was worth a try...............sorry, keep looking.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

They almost look like groundnuts - apios americana. Do they bloom like peas? Scroll down at the link below to see the tubers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground nuts

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Roselee's suggestion may be the only way we will ever know for sure..............plant one in a container and see what grows.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

There is a "wild" ivy here that has tubers. Diane pulled some out and cut the roots. Now they have come back any where sh cut the root.
    Roselee you knew the name of the ivy.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Kathy, do you mean the one you had with the caterpillars on it that made the pretty moths? The common name was something like 'oak leaf ivy' but I can't find it under that name. It's a pretty vine with fleshy spotted leaves, a distinctive odor when crushed, mildly toxic causing a skin rash for a few people. I'm not surprised it has tubers. Raking my brain ...

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Yes, that is the one. Cissus

Here is a link that might be useful: wild Ivy

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Lynnmarie, sorry to get off on a tangent here. I'm still interested in what your tubers are, but thanks Kathy for nailing the name of the vine. I've saved it. Right now my vine is mixed in with a crossvine growing up the pecan tree, but I want to keep it going somewhere because it's a host to those beautiful moth caterpillars. Since learning they grow from tubers I'm thinking of digging and moving them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty moths and their caterpillars ...

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Yes, Kathy, for giving me the name of that vine. My sister called it "cowitch", but when I googled that, all I got was trumpet vine. Anyway, I am highly allergic to it, and steer clear of it at all costs. BUT... it does have tubers.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

I have to agree with the "plant them in a pot and see what grows" group!

And congrats on the new pond and "Happy Mother's Day!" I'd surround it with rocks and cover the bottom of it with rock as well, but then I have a LOT of rocks that my mother and I have collected over the years. :)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

No idea on the tuber, I was going to guess Four o'clock too. My vinca doesn't have any tubers as far as I know.

Love your little pond. My only suggestions are fish and a couple of water plants. And leave room for a bigger pond, they are addicting! lol

If your pond is in the shade, some fern and dwarf umbrella would look great behind it, and something low growing in front.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

noooo, not four o'clocks. Those horrid tubers are from the vine, I dig the dang things out of the yard all the time. I call the vine virginia creeper, hate the thing. Throw them out!
    Four o'clock are going to have a tuber that is shaped more or less like a carrot, you can bonsai them.
    Tally HO!

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put them in a pot yesterday, so we will see. I bet it is the vinca vine. The only thing I've planted there (that I remember) was that darned vinca vine and dahlias. I sure hope it isn't the vinca.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have never seen a vinca with tubers, but could it be the dahlias????

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took y'all's advice and planted it in a pot and... It's a weed vine. It grows in the summer and I leave it because it is prettier than the fence it grows on. I think I remember it making small flowers too. Here's a couple of pics...
    {{gwi:1348900}}From Around the yard and garden
    {{gwi:1348903}}From Around the yard and garden

Or maybe it is not a weed and something desirable. Any takers???

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Ah, Kathy nailed it above. I think it's a pretty vine and am letting it grow in my yard. I have fond memories of it when as a child interested in moths and butterflies I saw it covered with caterpillars. I've since found out it's a food source for a very pretty moth, but the moth has not showed up here. Kathy had them on her vine a couple of years ago and is going to let me know the next time they appear so I can collect a few and get them started around here.

However, be aware that some people, Carrie for instance, are allergic to the vine. I've handled it and it hasn't bothered me although I am allergic to poisen ivy.

I've got some little vines if anyone wants one at San Antonio swap time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kathy's link for Cissus incisa ...

• grinchis40
    11 years ago

Yes, looks like Virginia Creeper.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what it was. I don't really want it. Does anyone??? I hate to throw it out if someone could use it. It sure did grow fast.

• shebear
    11 years ago

I have that stuff in my yard. I've been fighting it for 20 years so I wouldn't let it get a foothold. The birds spread it so it won't stay in one place.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

told ya! My chickens eat it. I have been digging it out of my yard for 22 years. I hate the way it smells when you break it or crush the leaves. The dang tubers will sprout laying in the middle of the pavement in July!!
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor