Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
training up virginia creeper

Posted by bedford8a 8a (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 10:42

I have bought house in the mid-cities DFW area with a very shady back yard. It has been long-neglected and has a little St. Augustine where there's some sun, but is mostly bare soil. After replacing the wooden privacy fence in March, I noticed spouts of Virginia Creeper. It has continued to grow well and now has begun to climb the new fence! I've peeled it away from the fence for now even though I really liked the vertical element it added to a drab landscape.

I'd love to encourage it as a ground cover and a vertical element because it's a native and it doesn't require much water. Has anyone ever trained it to climb trellises or wire? Since the fence is new, I'm not crazy about letting it climb directly on the fence.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: training up virginia creeper

It's a native plant, but not native to Texas. You can't really train it, although it grows so fast it seems alive and at some point it might start trying to train you...It will climb trees and fences, but it doesn't twine, it grabs on with those little sticky feet thingies so it needs a surface to climb on. If you let it go it will cover everything in your yard and it also reseeds freely (and fiercely) and will come up everywhere. It spreads by seeds, rhyzomes, roots and magic. I had some that climbed a 45' tree and the ends of the vines were dangling in the wind at the top. I planted it by my well house and it completely covered the house and started up into a nearby pecan tree. It engulfed my bicycle. It grows so fast you may not be able to stop it once it gets going. My dog used to like to take naps in that flowerbed, but we haven't seen her in a while...just kidding. But it is a rampant garden thug and much like English ivy, very difficult to irradicate once you have it. It also bears such a striking resemblance to poison ivy, both in shape and habit, I don't like to mess with it just in case I mistake it.

On the good side, it does look pretty, and the leaves turn red in the fall.

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw once: God and all the angels were sitting around debating whether He should create babies. On a large white board they had two lists, the Pros and the Cons. Under the Cons list were: Noisy, Demanding, Unruly, Messy, Disruptive, Expensive, Fussy, Hungry all the Time, Uncooperative, Croupy, Persnickity, and Smelly.

Under the Pros List was: They're Cute.

Cheryl

o

Really? You WANT to grow this stuff? Like Cheryl said it's a horrid monster. I've spent almost 20 years battling it in my yard. I've used every kind of spray, pulled, flame thrower (OK, so it was a torch), dug out the roots....it smells awful, has an ugly bloom, overtakes everything quickly-it totally swallowed a huge althea and broke it in 1/2 while I was on vacation one year.
On the other hand it survives hurricanes, floods, fires, freezes, nothing eats it...
I'd help ya pull it out but I still haven't got rid of it here LOL!
Tally HO!

o

Wow! Virginia Creeper sure is a problem here. It grew on a hot, dry strip along our drive in south Georgia where I used to live and it pretty much stayed in bounds, even during the epic drought two years ago.

I've decided not to let it climb and I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for all your advice.

o

I love Virginia creeper.

It might be considered aggressive if left to grow for decades. Compared to most vines it's very manageable.

Unless your fence is particularly attractive(and most aren't)I'd let it cover it.

I have a 200'long fence covered with it and every autumn people stop to take pics when it turns red.

o

I spent days and days clearing it out of areas that I wanted to make into planting beds. I'd grab and pull, and that darn thing would have roots all the way across the yard. It grows under the grass, up the trees, around slow-moving pets - I HATE IT!!!

And that's with no supplemental watering...

o

Well, that explains why Brownstone is green, she's pretty slow moving! A round butterball dog topiary. ROFLMAO!!!
Tally HO!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here