Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

A river runs through it ...

I don't know how many inches we've had so far, but my rain guage is running over at five inches and a river is running through the back yard. I haven't seen that for a long time. This is not standing water. We're on an incline. I hope this fills the rain barrels of everyone in the vicinity and helps replinish the aquifer.

Comments (34)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No real damage here. Just some mulch washed out of beds. Fellow San Antonians, how are you faring at your place?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

A water feature or featured water,

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, as one missionary to Africa recently wrote to his relatives: "I now have running water. It runs through the front of my tent and right out the back." LOL

Mara, of course I thought about you and your water barrels. How're they doing?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

They are full and have been for awhile. Maybe I should take a bath.

My mother lived 4" below sea level on the windward side of Oahu. Her yard looked like this almost every time it rained hard.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are rain photos on Xericstyle Blog. Blog owner Heather lives a couple of miles from me.

Mara, it's good to know your rain barrels are full, but hold off on taking a bath. ;-) No telling what the summer has in store ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Xericstyle Blog showing rain water. Click through for LOTS of interesting blog entries with photos on how Heather is building a beautiful xeric garden....

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Oh you are no fun. My bath tub is outside so I would have to do it in the rain.

.I would go out and buy some mosquito dunks for that standing water right now or go put out some dish soap. The mosquitos are going to be murder.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

We are having a lot of rain in Kyle too, but the plants still look happy. Not much running water.

Omar

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Ragna, mine looked like that this morning. Too lazy to take pics. Yesterday's rain knocked a few daylily buds off.
    I picked this one early in the day, yesterday.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

You guys take care. I am hearing that the flooding in areas is really bad in SA. 15" wow and more to come. We had a little over 2". Yours is like the Memorial Day floods in Austin. Now you get your very own Memorial day flood that you can still be talking about 30 years later.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

send it this way!!
    Tally Ho!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I need rain, but a little at a time more often would be nice.

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

Reminds me of the heavy rain in October 1998. I know the french drain at our old house has filled up and the water will be running down towards the street...over the curb as well as through the hole in the curb that eroded(?) at the end of the drain. I have so many fun memories of playing in that "stream" in the backyard as a kid! Unfortunately, when I get that much rain here, I just get lakes in the backyard. Which reminds me, I probably need to re-dig the drainage channel from the pecan tree to the front sidewalk, so the pecan doesn't drown the next time it rains like that.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Oh My! I was out all day and had no idea you had flooding in SA! c

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was a mess all over town; lots and lots of water, but it drains off fairly quickly. A major project after a significant rain like this, other than the clean up, is going around emptying out everything that holds water and throwing mosquito dunks in all the ditches I can get to.

Tex Ag I can remember playing in the neighborhood streams after flooding rains when I was a kid, too. Once I took my gold fish outside and let them swim in some clear water standing over the sidewalk. What fun!

Yes, it would be nice to have these inches of rain doled out slowly over the summer, but ... oh well.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

That was yesterdays picture in Roselee's garden. How bad did it get today or WHY HAVE WE NOT HEARD FROM YOU TODAY??? Is everything OK? How are the other San antonians faring?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

OH there you are. Somehow I missed post by minutes.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been a long day Mara ... lol ... but the pictures were posted this morning. Thanks for asking though.

Oh and by the way, I remember one summer when for six weeks we had a little shower every afternoon like it does in parts of Florida. Some sort of system had stalled over Texas. It was wonderful. The yard looked great. That was 2007. Anybody else remember that?

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

I read on the news that a woman died due to the rain in SA. Her vehicle was dragged by the water. According to the note, authorities asked people to stay home.

Omar

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

That was the summer I went to Russia. The night I left it rained 26" in Marble Falls (just northwest of us) and 15" at my place. We had left the night it rained to go to my husband mothers house so we could get the early flight out. We heard about all the other rains in Texas on the internet. When we got back all the native bunch grass was waist high, and EVERYTHING was GREEN. And none of my plants were dead from no water. Yes the rain stopped in September and we started the first of the droughts. The lakes were full and the grass was high, good memories ...... But I was not here, I was on the Baltic sea and Provence, and the Maritime Alps. That was a kind summer. Last summer was pretty kind too.

• badducky
    10 years ago

"If you're praying for rain, you can stop now." - said by priests and preachers all across Texas this morning, no doubt.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I remember 2007 too! We had abundant rain here in North Texas, I fondly call it, 'the year of rain' :-) I had the best tomatoes that summer!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

I remember 2007. Awesome year after terrible drought of 2005-2006 in Dallas-Ft Worth metropolitan. Everything grew like weeds! My father in law could not get to work after that 19 inches of rain nearby Marble Falls where highway 71 got flooded.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so I didn't dream 2007 all by myself! It was a wonderful year for gardens; almost too good to be true :-)

Below is a short video of the flood water going over the road and down the 'dry creek' by my house. This is after the water receeded somewhat. Earlier the car on the side was almost totally submerged and the driver had to be rescued by the fire department. BTW, I found out after he was a grown man that as a young teen #1 son and his friends would go tubing down this creek after a heavy rain. (That's just one of the things I didn't really want to know ...rolling my eyes) ...

Here is a link that might be useful: .37 second video of water going over the road

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Well, I went into S.A. early Saturday a.m. for the Festival of Flowers. Plenty of rain and water, but didn't see any actual flooding. While in the building, it continued to rain until late morning, then stopped. After I left in late morning, I drove a few places on the outer NW & W sides and again, saw no actual flooding, although there were water standing in places and some traffic signals out. The major flooding was apparently in other parts of S.A. and along major waterways, from what I'm seeing in the newspaper. Two dead, lots of rescues. That city is a prime example of Flash Flood Alley when it gets too much rainfall too quickly. Out where I live in the NW corner of Medina Co., we've had a little over 2 inches of rain over the last few days and the dry creek's not running. I'm okay with that for now.

• cattyles
    10 years ago

"If you're praying for rain, you can stop now." - said by priests and preachers all across Texas this morning, no doubt.

Not quite all across Texas. Some parts of Texas are still experiencing very dire drought. Happy for you all that got rain, though!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Maybe, just maybe, if those San Antonians stop praying for rain, Your prayers and all those in the PanHandle, High Plains, Far South , and Del Rio area will be heard better.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's just that y'all aren't holding your mouth right when you do the 'nekkid turtle dance' around the lit up barbque pit by moonlight. whoo hoo :-)

• melvalena
    10 years ago

:)

Yep.. that's what it is!

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    10 years ago

Roselee,

If you ever wanted to bring in more soil, this should tell you where the low spots in the yard is.

San Antonio was inundated with rain. Wish those people wouldn't try to drive through the high water. But, they do get the chance to regret it. So many people don't realize that it just takes a couple of inches for a car to float.

Xtal

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    10 years ago

Roselee,

If you ever wanted to bring in more soil, this should tell you where the low spots in the yard is.

San Antonio was inundated with rain. Wish those people wouldn't try to drive through the high water. But, they do get the chance to regret it. So many people don't realize that it just takes a couple of inches for a car to float.

Xtal

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

San Antonio is still a dangerous place when it rains a lot. 3 dead, houses flooded suddenly without any warnings at all from the city, all those water rescues, not to mention the accidents. I was thinking about it today and I'm really happy I moved out here. S. A. is nice to visit, but otherwise, I'd rather be up high (and often dry) out here. BTW, we got more rain yesterday, so our total is now about 3.5".

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

I grew up a couple miles from Roselee and had friends about a mile WNW of her, so I drove that street (Dreamland) MANY times. The low water crossings are CLEARLY marked and the news (TV, radio, and paper) remind people to NOT drive through the low water crossings. Growing up, I was taught to stay out of the low water crossings when there was water in them just like I was taught to not try to beat a train. You might get away with it a couple times but it's just as likely that you won't...and the train/water will win.

Any area that gets as much rain as SA did Friday night/Saturday in such a short amount of time is going to have problems with flooding. I was there in October 1998, when the same areas flooded, and everyone on the radio or TV was saying "Stay out of low lying areas and stay home if at all possible!". I don't think the flooding was "sudden", I'm pretty sure everyone had enough time to get out, since the deaths came from two adults trying to cross flooded streets and one teenager trying to swim across a swollen creek. Not much you can do to prevent flood waters like that, and there's nothing that the city/county/state/federal officials can do when people get it into their heads to do something stupid. Sometimes you can get away with it, other times Mother Nature isn't very nice.

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

I just wish the rain had come at a much slower rate so that it would soak in and replenish the aquifer more.

This post was edited by tx_ag_95 on Tue, May 28, 13 at 20:11

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

It was the houses near Mission Espada which flooded that was said to be sudden. Apparently, it was a big surge or wave that went down the river, no warnings were issued on that. Some of the residents said their houses had never flooded before. And when the water rushed in, there wasn't enough time to get out. Fortunately, they were all rescued by boats.