Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davessels

Hallelujah! It's Raining..

Debra Vessels
9 years ago

We have received about 3/4" of rain in the last 36 hours. It has been a long slow rain, everything smells wonderful. It has been a long time coming for us up here, and it is just heavenly! I hope all our Panhandle neighbors are enjoying this.
Debra

Comments (15)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I hope that the front just sits there and rains for you!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Yes Debra, it has been wonderful hasn't it! We have received 1 4/10" over the last 36 hours. I noticed that on the east side of I27 they had received more rain than those of us on the west side. Yesterday evening when the rain was coming through, you could see on radar that the very heavy part of the storm was sitting over them - and you could really tell it this morning. Water in the bar ditches was running and cultivated fields had water standing in them.

So glad you are getting rain, too. I think it looks pretty good for a few more chances of rain.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I am soooo glad to hear this!

• melvalena
    9 years ago

I know what a joy it is to finally get some rain!! Enjoy the heck out of it.

Growing up in El Paso, we had some family friends who had a ranch in Ft Stockton. They had a tradition that every time it rained they'd make fudge. :)
    Perhaps your family could do something like that too? .

• cattyles
    9 years ago

Best as I can tell (wish I would have had a rain gauge) we've had 1.5 to 2 inches about 30 miles west of Lubbock. WOO-HOOOOO!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

OOOH boy.

Weatherbell weather service thinks that we will have rain this summer and fall. They have a different forecast then the guys out of A&M. He called it a "Garden of Eden Summer" for the center of the country. But You and I know that Texas does not normally follow what the rest of the country is doing. My fingers are crossed.

• bgp_123
    9 years ago

I live in San Angelo and we have had over 8" since Friday night. Thank GOD!!!!!!!!

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

Yes. They think El Nino has started. But even though we've had over 3 inches since yesterday, I'm not falling for that just yet. They've lied before, while the long drought continued uninterrupted...we'll see.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Eight inches in San Angelo? -- singing hallelujah with you!

My rain gauge got knocked off and broken when a live but dried out Arizona ash tree limb fell last week, but I'm guessing 3 inches since yesterday. This may just save a lot of trees that were looking pretty bad after a cold dry winter.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

We had inch and a half and my rain tanks are full . I can now take a shower without guilt.

• rcnaylor
    9 years ago

I'll second that. A wonderful weekend of rain!

• beachplant
    9 years ago

Woo-hoo! Finally rained here too! Not sure how much but going to check the rain barrels now, supposed to rain more!

Tally Ho!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I had been monitoring the weather reports and expected some on Saturday, then Sunday, then Monday, but it was minimal. The big rain finally came early this morning and everything looked nice and wet this morning upon waking up.

Fortunately, the cloudy weather and potential advent of rain was Ok for temperatures this weekend as I waited to see the big rains each day (so that I didn't waste water then it rains) that never came, so although the plants did not get rain or manual watering, they also didn't wilt too much.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

2.25" for me at my house. With such mild weather for a while, everything will grow like weeds.

FYI - El Nino's effects are usually more noticeable during fall-winter-spring so here's hoping that it continues into that time frame to get more benefits but who knows with PDO in cold phase. It ends to fizzle out early like last time.

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, It was glorious! We left for OKC for family reunion on Saturday morning and the rain just followed us there, what a wonderful weekend. A graduation and a wedding and not one person complained about the rain.
    I see that Amarillo got 3 1/2" where we got 1 1/2" total for the whole time, being just 50 miles North in Borger. I hope Lake Meredith got more than we did. We have this phenomena here, when we have a storm or a front coming from the southwest, once it reaches lake Meredith, it splits, going north and south, and completely misses us, regrouping just west of Pampa, they always get the brunt of it. Very strange, any thoughts on that?