Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasbet

What is this plant?

texasbet
10 years ago

This guy has been in my flower bed since its beginning. I'm guessing it's wild, because my flower bed was just pasture before we built on it. I don't really mind the plant, except it is under my Sweet William and keeps growing around and almost on top of it.

I tried to pull it up once, but guess I did not get all of the root. It's actually kind of interesting, but I don't know if it's invasive or otherwise undesirable. It has a yellow flower. You can see a bud if you look close. Thoughts?

Comments (19)

• melvalena
    10 years ago

How big around and how tall does it get? when does it actually bloom? Does it disappear in the winter?

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does not get tall, it kind of trails. The leaves are fairly large, and yes, it disappears in the winter.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

The branches and some of those leaves look like a datura to me.
    Don't do a google search for datura or you'll find plants that are not datura.

instead look up jimson weed images.

Does your plant get wicked looking seed pods?

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seed pods, hmm... I cannot remember at the moment. I did just go look at it, though, and there a few blooms open.They are actually kind of chartreuse, but more on the yellow side, and they are tiny; no more than a half inch across. The leaves are about an inch and half across.

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, after researching for awhile, I think it is a ground cherry. Anyone else?

• melvalena
    10 years ago

I can say now, they aren't the jimsom weed. I don't know what a ground cherry is. I'm glad that you are getting somewhere with your search.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

It looks a little like Lambs quarters. According to the photos below sometimes the edges of the leaves are smooth and sometimes not. But I don't know about the flower ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lambs quarters ..

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you melvalena. I appreciate your help.

Roselee, yes, it does look like lamb's quarters, although I don't think the flower is the same. The images I'm finding are showing spiky green flowers.

I still am not positive what it is, but leaning toward ground cherry. I also posted a photo on FB, hoping someone there would know.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

It does look like ground cherry, The people on GW Name that Plant are really good! You might try posting your photos there and they might be able to confirm it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum ,,,

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I just posted there.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Ground cherry. I'm going to try making salsa verde with mine this year :-)

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish I had a bunch of them. I'd make salsa, too!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I sure would be interested in some seeds if you get any.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow flymallow

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wantonomara, I only have the one plant, but if I get seeds, I'd be happy to share. And just so ya know, it isn't classified as a mallow. Wouldn't want you to be disappointed if it isn't what you were hoping for. And you might want to remind about the seeds. I have many senior moments. ;0)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I will have scads of them in the fall Mara. You can have them all.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Oh that was a a mistake . I forgot to erase that URL be fore I posted.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

yeah, I hope you meant ground cherry (Physalis). That what I will have seeds for. Be warned, they do display invasive characteristics. I started with a single, bird-sowed plant and now I have a raised garden full of them. I let them duke it out with the four o'clocks and it's a close race. I probably water a bit more than you, once a week in the dry heat.

• texasbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They can be invasive? And you started with one plant? Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on the little squatter.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

yes, there was only one three years ago