Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxietexas

Lawn, blue asters and other perennials are dying

RoxieTexas
11 years ago

Help! I'm just in from working in the garden/yard this morning and I'm heartsick. Last year I bought this beautiful cottage home replete with a beautiful garden of native and/or drought tolerant plantings -the home of my dreams.

Less than one year later, I seem to be losing the St. Augustine lawn, the blue asters are crispy stems, and several other of the perennials (pin cushion and sun drop plant) are dying from the inside out. I can't believe this garden has gone from being the "Garden of the month" to this mess in such a short time. I'm not a complete newbie, but I don't have a clue as to what could be wrong nor how to fix it. The prior owner was an organic gardener and I prefer to remain that way as well.

Any ideas as to where to start?

Comments (20)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Can you post some pictures of the damage?

• whitecap2
    11 years ago

WATER! . . .Water . . .(gasp) water . . .

• eltex
    11 years ago

I don't understand. It's may 5th, so surely you have seen this progression right? It couldn't have happened overnight. It sounds like you need to water, but is that all? Have you side dressed the perennials? St Augustine is noted for requiring water and can't be ignored.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Agree...........WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

A lot of us grew to depend on the spring rains and got complacent about watering, but once the rains stopped and the temperature went up it didn't take long to realize we have to water if we want to keep things alive.

• aufelipe
    11 years ago

In the DFW area, after a wet early Spring, we have not had significant rain in three weeks. . .

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

While I agree that the plants may need supplemental water, I wonder if that's really the problem here. Yes, we haven't had significant rain in three weeks and it's been warm, BUT Roxie says this is an established native/drought tolerant yard. Surely it can go three weeks without water without croaking on her! Unless, of course, the plants were used to a regular watering schedule that was abruptly ended in the middle of last summer's drought. Maybe that would have taken this long to make its presence known?

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Probably the former owner told you that the garden was drought tolerant and that she never waters, but in actuality she was watering weekly, after all, she had the house on the market and wanted it to look it's best. You move in, believing the former owner, and don't water. In less than a year you are losing the garden and the lawn.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It may be water, but I've got the same plants in my yard, grown this year with no supplemental water yet and they all look good. I'm thinking it's something else. Maybe a neighbor sprayed a herbicide on a windy day? Check the yard south of you and see if there is anything to indicate they sprayed something.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I'll be watching this post since i'm in Austin and it's darn dry! While my garden is still in the planning stage, it's good to know things ahead of time in terms of prevention.

I would at least *try* a little water~~can't hurt. ;o)

• whitecap2
    11 years ago

You can't simply abandon aster and calylophus in this kind of weather, much less St. Augustine.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I firmly believe that in the heat of our Texas summers, EVERYTHING benefits from some water. That is my theory and I am sticking to it.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Sure, it can't hurt. Maybe we'll get some tonight or tomorrow.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

In east Texas we got 3.5 inches of rain last night - yippee!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Here in Copper Canyon, we did not get even a "sprinkle".

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

We got .14. I'm watering now. At least it's cool today.

• mscotty12321
    11 years ago

I have many of the same plants and I do not think the issue is water, unless it is overwatering. I have not watered my plants (other than recent transplants) since early September 2011 and they are thriving. I did have an issue on a few plants with a red bellied beetle that I did not take the time to identify. They turned my plains coreopsis into crispy critters.

Get down on your hands and knees. See and feel what is going on. Look for bugs, dig into the soil to make sure it is not too dry or wet, look for curled or deformed leaves (sign of contact with herbicides) and know your plants and their requirements. Did you happen to apply any kind of weed and feed fertilizer? It's bad stuff.

Check the link for pictures of my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plano Prairie Garden

• lucillle
    11 years ago

I agree, pictures would be good.

• RoxieTexas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try to get some pictures. I moved into the house exactly one year ago today, so I was there through the heat of the summer and did water as appropriate.

I did hit it with some more water and things have perked up some, however, things are just not "right".

I've got "something" in the Saint Augustine that started about this time last year - the lawn was perfect when I bought the house in April and by May 21, 2011, the spot had appeared and continues to get larger.

I had put out winter rye and that sort of thatched up, so I've removed every bit of vegetation on that area - but I haven't seen any sign of any sort of insect/bug invasion.

And I reviewed the prior owners water bills, so if she was watering, it wasn't much :-)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Is the spot in the St Augustine roughly circular is shape? We almost lost our entire lawn last year to cinch bugs, heat and drought. They thrive in heat and drought. We've been using Bayer Lawn and Garden every two weeks even though I hate using chemicals. You can identify them by placing a damp white sheet or towel over the outer edge of the 'spot' overnight. Pick it up in the morning and look for bright red tiny bugs. They are horribly destructive.

On the other hand, St Aug can be susceptible to fungus and that would be more likely to affect your other plants as well.