Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little round holes in veg garden - Critter Questions

Posted by trsinc 8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, May 24, 09 at 12:21

Hi all.

A couple of weeks ago there was a hole/tunnel in my vegetable garden about 1 inch in diameter. I drowned it and filled it in right away. My beds are raised and filled with wonderful store bought dirt. I can dig a hole with my hand - the dirt is so soft. What do you think could have made a hole like that? We have snakes and crevice lizzards and giant centipedes. I've seen holes like that before and people said they were snake holes. I also used to live in snake country and when I would dig in my vegetable garden I would often see the tail end of a snake wiggling away under the ground about 6-10 inches down. I've read that snake holes are a myth and that they only take advantage of existing holes. So, question # 1 is what do you think belonged to that hole?

Then, yesterday, I was staring out the window watching it rain when I saw the back side of a critter climb up my retaining wall and take shelter under my flowers. He moved around in there quite a bit because I could see the flowers jiggling here and there. At first I thought it was a really big rat, then decided it must be a possum. But, his little back side was cuter than any possum I've seen. I've been googling around and I think he looked just like this:

http://k43.pbase.com/u39/tmurray74/large/25349705.DSC00017.jpg

Anybody in Central Texas west of Austin ever had to deal with meadow voles? There is a lot of grassy, cedar infested, undeveloped land around my house and we are a 5 minute walk from the lake. Just the sort of thing they like. But, I haven't found through googling if they really do live in this area.

I don't think I can take another critter to deal with, lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little round holes in veg garden - Critter Questions

At least he had a cute back side. We have moles now and then, but we're north of you. Was there any damage done to your garden, or did it maybe eat worms and stuff?

o

I forgot to say that the pic in the link is a meadow vole.

chickenmom, I can't tell that he did any damage. The area that he took shelter has some woody shrubs and coreopsis with ice plant as a ground cover. I think he was trying to get out of the rain. I've been working around that area today and didn't see anything. Also, the dog was there and she can sniff out any intruder. So, maybe he moved on. I sure hope so!

I don't think it's possible to have the underground variety of moles and voles here. We're on the side of a hill and it's almost solid rock. I suppose they have actual soil in the valleys...

Here is a link that might be useful: Meadow vole

o

My thoughts would be either June beetles emerging or cicada killers feeding their young. But then I'm glad for ANY holes in the clay here in Euless, and there are far too many of them to worry about in the sands of Quitman :)

Lin

o

@ trsinc: I've been wondering about the holes, too. Just googled it and got this forum, but looks like no real answers yet. Anyone? small perfectly round holes in soft soil, about 1" in diameter. I'm near Cape Cod, MA.

o

Just found this link. Interesting!

http://www.walterreeves.com/insects-and-animals/diagnosing-holes-in-the-yard/

Here is a link that might be useful: Walterreeves.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here