Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home grown wire hanging basket liner ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 12:46

Since there seems to be some genuine interest in my garden projects I'd like to show you another home grown wire hanging basket liner that saves from having to buy one.

On this one I used a couple of layers of Meditarian fan palm fronds and then lined them with triple thick landscape frabic. The fronds are fresh here but will turn brown.

I lowered a heavy bucket that is the same size as the pot the ferns are in to weight it down to conform to the shape of the wire basket. I put potting soil around the bucket, wet it and packed it down. When it drys enough to keep it's shape I'll unpot the fern and put it in. I'll let it dry a bit more before hanging and that way it won't be so heavy to lift while putting it up.

I showed one before that I lined with deer net, brush mulch, and landscape fabric. I hope this one works as well. It leaves a bit more room for potting soil as the fronds are not as thick as the mulch.

I'd love to hear about and see photos of your garden projects! It gives us all ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home grown wire hanging basket liner ...

That's another great idea and so simple. Our neighbors put palm fronds out by the curb sometimes so I'll try that.

I finished the cone baskets from the swap this morning, but the sun is too bright to show them well so I'll be back with pictures later.

o

I used canna leaves last year because they break down so slowly and I have a plethora of cannas, but didn't think about landscape fabric. They lasted pretty well through the summer, but eventually started leaking potting soil when watered. I'm glad that I read this!

Thanks Roselee!

o

Great! It seems those coconut liners are more than the pots now. I don't have palms, but I do have cannas. I will definitely try this next time! Thanks and keep 'em coming!

o

Yes, using canna leaves is a GREAT idea!

o

Brilliant! Thank you!!!

o
RE: The cone shape baskets.....

Here's what I did with the baskets from the swap.

Photobucket

I used Roselee's method with the deer net, sheet moss and the landscape fabric. I cut holes in the sides and pulled the plants through like a strawberry pot. I will do this as I plant other baskets too because the netting really holds the moss in better than just the wire frame and the landscape fabric keeps the soil in place.

The hangers are wire covered with plastic beads. The plants are petunias, blue daze, and calibrachoa with verbena at the top. I did one last week and the second one yesterday, the petunias are doing the best and the blue daze are a little wilted so I stuck a few portulaca cuttings in too.

o

That looks great! Lucky you getting those baskets as a door prize at the swap :-) I don't remember ever seeing that style for sale.

I didn't know what sheet moss was until I looked it up on the internet. It looks like sphagnum moss already formed in sheets.

I love how you strung the beads on the wire hangers.

Thanks for the pictures!

o

Sheet moss and sphagnum moss look the same and I use either though sheet moss was easier for this because it takes up less room and holds together. I've also seen it labeled decorator or green moss. This is from the dollar store at the Rim next to Michael's.

o

Neat baskets! I love brightly colored stuff myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here