Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starburst agave -- NOT!

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 13:02

On the thread about the SAS Nursery in Austin a photo of an unknown plant purchased there was posted. Rick in Oklahoma, who got me started with Pink pentapetes, ID'd it for us. It's a cactus! Who'd a thunk it? It's thornless however and not very common even in its native habitat of Northern Mexico.

There is just no end to interesting plants in the world!

Here is a link that might be useful: Leuchtenbergia principis ....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starburst agave -- NOT!

thanks for the ID, I have one of these I picked up years ago, it's awful slow growing for me.
Tally HO!

o

Thanks go to Rick of course. According to the link it's tender and will only take a few hours at 32 degrees. How has yours fared in that department?

I think it's interesting how desert plants evolved to protect themselves in their difficult growing conditions. This one, lacking thorns, evidentally disguises itself as a dead plant with the bunch of dead material at the end of its arms.

Kathy, I know what you're thinking ... LOL :-)

o

I'm with Kathy, Roselee............LOL>

o

If absolutely necessary, I could probably live with that one.
I grew up in S. TX 5 miles from the Rio Grande river, where cacti is very "abundant". Then we lived in AZ for 5 years.

o

I killed mine.and never replaced it.

o

Wow Kathy! From you, a lover of beautiful and gentle flowers, that's saying a lot ... LOL

Anyway somebody has to love the funny looking little orphans .... :-)

And at least it isn't stickery and has pretty blooms several times a year.

o

I am willing to let you be that person, Roselee.....LOL>

o

Hahaha! But it's so homely it's cute! Plus being very clever to disguise itself as a bunch of dead grass to keep from being eaten. How fascinating are the ways plants and animals develop strategies which enable them to survive. That goes for people too :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here