Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gainesm_gw

Squash Vine Borers :/

gainesm
9 years ago

There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for my hatred of the Squash Vine Borer. *sigh*

I have a question, but first let me explain:

First time with a garden so first time with the squash vine borer - and I did surged on 3 plants last night. Was able to get out one worm whole, and 2 in pieces. I don't know if there were more in any of the vines - but I did cut into it about 6" lengthwise and opened it up, scraping out all the frass.

I didn't think the plants would survive overnight - but I did pack a good amount of a soil on top of each of the vines that were laying on the ground and watered thoroughly. The 3rd plant's vine is upright so I literally tied the stem closed using the stretchy green tape-like stuff that I use to tie other plants to their stakes. It apparently worked as all 3 plants flowered this morning and all stems and leaves appear normal.

What are the chances they will survive the surgery? If I start some new seeds indoors to transplant if these die off, will they be able to flower and produce during the hotter months at all or would that just be wasted effort?

Comments (5)

• southofsa
    9 years ago

Don't know if the vines will survive or not, because iI was never able to find the entry sites to do surgery. From what you describe it sounds like you did all the right things and they have a better than average chance.

As to the second part of the question- where are you? If you're 8b it would be too late to start seeds and you'd be chancing it with transplants. Can't speak to other areas but someone should know.

I try to explain the never ending battle with SVB's to my family up north and they look at me like I have three heads.

Good luck- Lisa

• gainesm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm San Antonio, so I think that's 8b. Ugh. I sure hope the plants survive. If they don't, I may just see if I can grow them inside.

I've tried explaining about the SVB to my West Coast friends and they don't quite get it either. lol

• southofsa
    9 years ago

If you're in SA and you look at the Fanick's nursery website they have a recommended plant dates for spring and fall for vegetables that I find very easy to understand. I know there's supposed to be one available through the extension agency, but haven't ever found it.

And yes you're in 8b. Good luck with the vegetables. Sometimes it's an exercise in frustration, but when it's a good year it can be very rewarding too.

Lisa

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I have had good luck keeping them covered with a light row cover till they start to bloom and then I uncover them and It takes a while to the squash borer to do its damage. I do keep my eye out for them. . Then I do it again in the fall. It is not a full proof strategy. But it was what was recommended by one if the plant gurus hanging around caring for the demonstration plot at the organic Natural Gardeners.

• gainesm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So it's possible to use a row cover even now? I'm not sure how that would work given the flowers bloom every day pretty much and the SVB is laying eggs multiple times a week right now. Would this be a matter of just doing 100% hand pollination?