Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone have a Kumquat tree (citrus) ?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 13:05

If anyone around San Antonio has a Kumquat tree (the citrus, not Loquat) they can get a start going from I'd like to trade for it at the SA fall swap on 10/10/09 at MacArthur Park.

I'm so excited that I've got four of the large purple orchid trees started to trade among LOTS of other things that are perking along. These were given to me by a neighbor who says it doesn't bloom for him in my neighborhood, but is a large tree and a beautiful bloomer at his place on the side of town.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone have a Kumquat tree (citrus) ?

There is one at the house with the big bougainvillea, across from me and closer to the corner.
Are you wanting a cutting?

o

I've never tasted kumquats but I noticed when I visited The Natural Gardener nursery that they had lots of them for sale, and a few different varieties. The person helping me said they did fine in central Texas much to my surprise.
I love the idea of having an edible landscape for people and critters. I may have to go get me a kumquat.
Hope you find a starter. Your orchid trees sound lovely!

o

Kathy, yes ... I'm wanting a cutting! :-) Someone said they would grow well from cuttings. Does anyone know for sure? Or know what time of year one might have the greatest chance for success?

Wings, I didn't know about different varieties, but glad to have confirmation they would do well in central Texas.

By the way, I meant to say the orchid tree grew well for my neighbor on the SOUTH side of town.

o

I am definitely interested in a nagami kumquat tree. I will dig it up and or help you move other trees if you like.

o

I have several young trees in pots. I love Sweet Meiwa! But all of them are grafted. I'm not sure why. I do know they are the most cold hardy citrus and the tags say hard to 30. Sorry, not big enough to make cuttings but it might be important for them to be grafted. My 2 lemon trees are own root. c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here