Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_wiggley

Does Anyone Recognize This Plant?

mrs.wiggley
9 years ago

I was walking around my property and caught a sweet scent in the breeze. I followed my nose and came upon this multi-trunked shrub (about 6 feet) that had a wonderful fragrance similar to honeysuckle but milder and not quite so pungent.
I'd love to identify it and maybe even plant some more!

{{gwi:221179}}

Comments (7)

• melvalena
    9 years ago

Look up sweet olive and see if your's matches. I also thought it might be a banana shrub but the flowers on that are different.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that suggestion Melvalena.
    Is sweet olive native to Texas? I suppose it's possible that's what this is but if it's not a native I would be more skeptical because I live rurally and this plant seems right at home in a wild native habitat near a wet weather creek.. Also the leaves don't look as thick and glossy as the ones I saw in pictures of sweet olives. But similar.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that suggestion Melvalena.
    Is sweet olive native to Texas? I suppose it's possible that's what this is but if it's not a native I would be more skeptical because I live rurally and this plant seems right at home in a wild native habitat near a wet weather creek.. Also the leaves don't look as thick and glossy as the ones I saw in pictures of sweet olives. But similar.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea, got it!! I posted this same question in Garden Web's "Name That Plant" forum and someone came up with Ptelea trifoliata, otherwise known as Hoptree, Wafer-ash, Stinking-ash, Water-ash Rutaceae, though I'm not sure yet which cultivar mine is. I may try propagating with seeds and see how that goes. If it works out I may bring some to a swap. They are delicious smelling! But it's really odd, because when I got my nose right up to it, I thought for a second it smelled more like a skunk! So perhaps that is why one of its names is "stinking-ash". One cultivar "Aurea" is becoming popular as a fragrant plant to use in wildscapes as much for its gold fall color as its lovely sweet scent. I've included a link if anyone is interested in learning more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bird Wildflower Center - Ptelea trifoliata

This post was edited by mrs.wiggley on Sun, May 4, 14 at 17:43

• melvalena
    9 years ago

I'm glad you were able to identify it!

• beebeeann
    9 years ago

If you ever have any seeds you'd like to swap, please let me know! I've bought several online and only had one seed germinate. I need it to host my giant swallowtail caterpillars. All of the citrus has been taken over by psyllids and the rue starter plants keep dying out once the caterpillars munch on them. There's a butterfly farm in central Florida that raises them on hop tree alone, so I'd love to give it a try.

• loreleicomal
    9 years ago

If anyone wants seeds to wafer ash, I can send some. Just email me with your address. There is a tree nearby and I can get 100s of seeds.