Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Mexican wire grass and CATS

What is your experience with Mexican wire grass and cats? Through the years, my female cats LOVE to hang in this grass and LOVES to hug it. male cat does not seem to give it the time of day. Her is my cat Clawdia in her spot. I added a picture of a moth just for the hell of it.

Comments (8)

• mrs.wiggley
    9 years ago

Clawdia and I are of the same mind - when I see big areas of this grass in the landscape, it looks so soft and inviting I just want to lay in it.

That moth looks like the model for a jet design.

• cattyles
    9 years ago

I don't have an answer but I love Ms. Clawdia. She's a gorgeous girl.

Eeee the moth made me cringe. A tiny little moth flew into my ear last week while I was watering right at dusk with the porch light on. I wish it would have been a big one- FYI small moths have no problem getting right up close to the eardrum.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Clawdia is a lovely lady! My cat doesn't even look at my grass.

What kind of moth is that?

cattyles, the mere thought of having a moth in the ear makes me get the heebie-jeebies!

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

White-lined sphinx? Great photo whatever it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: White-lined sphinx moth

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Don't even try to get me to have warm fuzzies concerning cats and grass. They love to use them as toilets, tear them up, smash them into broken down eyesores and generally make a stinking mess of them. Now maybe when its your own cute fluffy pet, its endearing but I gotta say, I have no qualms about putting cholla cuttings in my grasses to keep all these damn @#$% feral cats that have taken over around here out of my grasses. My grasses are armed against cats, I ought to post a sign (as if it would help).

CATS BEWARE OF GRASS.

yea, I'm a real bad ass.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, I know you are a bad ass, TXRanger. This is the only grasses she likes. Usually she just lies under it with the grass going over her. I will remember the trick with the chollo cuttings. She is bad about newly planted things. Knowing my luck, it will be me that gets hooked by those nasty cuttings.There are only two cats around here and the male does not like that grass.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Oh trust me, I've grabbed those chollas when trimming the grass in spring more than a couple times, almost as often as I've grabbed cat crap which really makes me mad. First I tried old paint brushes stuck in the ground like spikes then I just got vicious since its war. I blame the cats when I get stuck of course because it is all their fault. I just ran 4 of them off out back. What I want to know is who has all these cats that run about everywhere?? They look like pets but there's so many of them all of the sudden in the last 2 or 3 years. I suspect a cat hoarder lives up the street.

Cholla works real well for protecting small plants. I have done that.

They love any and all the grasses, especially the Little Bluestem and Blue Grama. They eat the tops off just like a bad haircut, I've seen it from the upstairs window because before I witnessed the act I thought they just crushed them by wallering around. The plant finally looks like crap and I don't have to tell you how much or why they like my sand.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

oh, Mara ! What a pretty kitty !