Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Anyone know what this plant is?

TxMarti
12 years ago

It is in dd's yard in St. Louis, MO, but they have a lot of the same plants we do, so I thought someone might recognize it. She bought the house last summer & the plant was already through blooming.

{{gwi:1349927}}

Comments (12)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She just sent me two more pictures.

The first I would guess is peony, but it's been a long time since I've seen one up close. I'm putting in a thumbnail because the picture is big but the detail helps so I didn't resize it.

{{gwi:1349928}}

The second is right beside it, and dd said they already bloomed, but it was while it was raining and she never went out to see what the bloom looked like. The spent bloom is about two inches long and she thinks it was white. It's not making a seed. They are the plants next to the house and I've put two red boxes around some of them.

{{gwi:1349931}}

• texasflip
    12 years ago

Looks like soft-leaf yucca (Yucca recurvifolia).

• chickadee_42us
    12 years ago

The first thumbnail is a peony. I haven't a clue about the ground covering next to the foundations and peonies.

Your first picture, the spiney object kind of looks like an asparagus! Is it a part of the lily looking leaves?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, it does look a lot like an asparagus, but it is part of the lily looking leafed plant.

And I was wrong about the 2nd picture in the 2nd post. You would think that dd would know the names of some plants after living with me for 18 years. She wanted to know the name of the iris! She thought the plants in the red boxed areas were cannas, and I know they are not cannas. She said they were about 2 feet tall when she first looked at the house, and were cut to the ground soon after. So when we were there in June, they were about 6" tall, similar to the size they are now. They haven't bloomed yet, if they bloom at all.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

The second thumbnail almost looks like hosta.

• jlgarden53
    12 years ago

The plants with long leaves in 2nd picture in the 2nd post look like iris to me.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'm awful at this. My best guess would be gladiolus for the first one that does look like an asparagus :).(I'm thinking yucca is right tho)
    My guess for the second would be....um Gerbera pom pom???? The third looks like iris.

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Asparagus will grow in the middle of anything. I have never seen another plant that looks the same. They sure look ready to pick and eat.

• princealbert
    12 years ago

I believe those are the flower stalks for what appears to be a small yucca.
    pa

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

PA, I agree with you - as someone mentioned above, a soft leaf yucca ('soft' being relative). Those buds should open into creamy-white flowers any day.

The first thumbnail is a pretty peony with iris (of course) behind it.

In the second thumbnail, could that be lily of the valley among the peony and iris? If the leaves aren't getting any bigger, that might be what it is. Have her BOLO for the sweetly-scented white bell flowers.

Lin

• ibheri
    12 years ago

It looks like a twisted yucca. I saw a plant of twisted yucca at a nursery the other day, it gets a long stem with flowers only once a year. It looked very pretty but I didn't buy it as it was once blooming plant.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I told her to send me a picture when it blooms. She doesn't want to keep it, so unless it's something she could list on craigslist and have someone else dig up, she'll probably cut it down.

barkingdogwoods, I think you nailed it. Lily of the valley. They grow like weeds in her garden. Too bad they aren't native here. I'd like to have them.