Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

New Braunfels

beachplant
14 years ago

Going tomorrow! (May 7,2010) Yeah! A vacation! Anyway, we plan to go visit the bonsai in Wimberly, Schumachers nursery and any others we can find in the area. Ya'll got any suggestions on don't miss nurseries around there?

Tally Ho!

Comments (13)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Just a few miles south of New Braunfels take 1604 East to Nacodoches Rd. It's about half a mile, turn right on Nacodoches, go about 2 miles to Evans Rd. Turn left, go about a mile to the turn off to ANTIQUE ROSE EMPORIUM.

Or look it up on Google. But do go. It's not that far from N.B..

Milbergers Nursery is a few miles further east on 1604. It's a GREAT nursery to browse. And then Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks, which has everything under the sun, is just 7 minutes away from Milbergers.

Sounds like fun! If I didn't have a full day of appointments tomorrow I'd meet you at one of those places.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Tally, GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Have tons of fun
    I don't know if you still have my number but I am emailing it to you in case of emergency, LMBO
    jolana

Gruene Gardens
    (830) 625-8816
    1632 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
    Plant Haus âÂÂ3.3 mi SW
    956 North Walnut Avenue, New Braunfels, TX
    830-629-2401

I don't know for sure if this one is still there
    Garza Greenhouse âÂÂ14 mi NE
    420 South Guadalupe Street, San Marcos, TX
    (512) 392-2756âÂÂ
    Schulz Nursery in Seguin
    (830) 303-1720
    1722 Steffens Rd, Seguin, TX 78155

Schumacher's Hill Country Garden âÂÂ5.6 mi W
    588 Farm-to-Market 1863, New Braunfels, TX
    830-629-2603
    Garden Ville of San Marcos âÂÂ13 mi NE
    2212 Ranch Road 12, San Marcos, TX
    512-754-0060

Paradise Palms At York Creek Garden. Ctr. âÂÂ3.1 mi SE
    8212 IH 35 North Exit 195, New Braunfels, TX
    Plant Nursery
    Green Gate âÂÂ16 mi SE
    990 South Highway 123 Bypass, Seguin, TX
    Plant Nursery

• bossjim1
    14 years ago

Sounds like tomorrow will be a good day for me to go to Galveston and 'rescue' some plants!
    Jim

• Vulture61
    14 years ago

In my opinion, Gardenville at San Marcos has a very nice staff but a very limited stock. Paradise Palms in NB have just a few uncommon plants but you may find them interesting because they carry some plants suitable to the coast.

You'll love Schumachers,in spite of its poor conditions (make sure to ask permission to visit even the abandoned greenhouses.)

You may find some interesting plants at King Feed in Wimberley (RR 12, about 2 miles from the Bonsai place). I saw some evergreen sumac and some interesting succulents last week.

Zilker Park is only 50 minutes from Wimberley....

Omar

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Hi Omar, if she is going to be in Wimberley she will most likely drive right by it where she is going.
    Were you at King Feed or Zilker last week? We were at Zilker, lol

Jim, I'm with you, that does sound like a good plan, poor plants, she is leaving them all alone, LOL

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Leave it to Jolana to know ALL the plant places within 1,000 miles of where she lives ... LOL!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    14 years ago

Leave it to Jolana to know ALL the plant places within 1,000 miles of where she lives ... LOL!

• hitexplanter
    14 years ago

Schultz Nursery in Seguin is having a closing sale. It used be just a wholesale nursery then a few years back they opened it to the public. The newsletter makes it sound like they are closing it for good. On the other side of Seguin but also on 123 is Garden Gate which still has some good plants and sometimes some deals. The Schultz nursery in Marion is still going but they are not what they used to be years ago when I worked there in the 90's.
    Happy Plant hunting David

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Such a beautiful area, Tally...........have fun and let us know what you bought....or if you had enough room to take it all back with you.

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Tally, now everyone will know what I am up to, LOL

• beachplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Schulz is closing for good, they have all their plants 40% off, decent selection. Got variegated angel trumpets for $3 and native gaura for $3 each, a HUGE crinum with a ton of babies for Schumachers was closed. Thai T was closed, the owner was headed to the grocery store but said we could come in, we declined since he was headed to get food. Went to the Central Texas Bonsai exhibit, Jim got new bonsai, stock plant, pots and a mudman. Had the most fun at King feed, they had so much stuff! We got more bonsai stock, herbs and some natives. Plant Haus had all the generic, didn't get anything from there. Looking forward to another trip to the area soon.
    Tally HO!

• bigbri_tx
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am fairly new to the city, having moved from Houston last year. One of the first things I did was hit the local nurseries. I was pleasantly surprised to find some gorgeous and very large Philippine ground orchids at Home Depot. Unfortunately, the unusually cold winter we had claimed them as a casualty - completely my fault for not protecting them better. Does anyone know where I might find them again in this area? I promise to take much better care of them this time!

Brian

ps: I also lost 2 lavender AND my 2 pride of Barbados - very unusual winter we had!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Hi Brian! Welcome to the Texas GW Forum.

I've grown (or tried to) two types of ground orchid. Spathoglottis Plicata, which I think is the Philippine one, is a zone 11 plant and was not hardy for me, while Bletilla striata (Chinese Ground Orchid) has done very well and is hardy to zone 6. I've seen both for sale at Lowe's etc. I had Bletilla first and grabbed up the blooming Spathoglottis one without checking it out.

My lavenders also died last winter. It might have been the rain more than the cold that killed them. They usually last for several years.

The established Pride of Barbados made it though this last unusually cold winter, but some of the newly planted ones did not.

Don't know where to buy Chinese ground orchids right now, although some nurseries may have some left over from spring so just ask where ever you go. But if not I'm sure they'll be available in the spring.

Keep watching this forum and the Texas Exchange Forum for further announcements of the fall plant swaps. The San Antonio Swap will be held Oct. 9 at MacArthur Park. I have some small Pride of Barbados I can pass along to you and someone may even have some extra ground orchids of the hardy type.