Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

GRRR!!! Roly Polies!

chena
16 years ago

Dang things!! This rain is such a blessing but these little guys are about to wear me out.. They love the brugs... Organically there just isn't much you can do. Anyone got any ideas???

Chena

Comments (15)

• Dena Walters
    16 years ago

Im listening too! I have them everywhere! Even in my GS's sand box. I have to live thru "Nanna! Nanna another doodlebug!"...lol
    Dena

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

OHHH lucky Nanna! LOL! The wee tot will never run out of material. I must have millions of them!
    Um.... No clue how to fight the tiny armadillas. They leave my healthy plants alone. Only if I have a stressed plant will they eat the non-dead parts. PJ

• runjbells
    16 years ago

Me too! I filled a shallow container with water and yeast and put it under my plants to kill the slugs. I got a few slugs, but the container was mostly filled with drowned roly polys.

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PJ!!! You don't Have unhealthy plants!!!
    My little guy's are non~dicriminate..LOL I do have a couple Brugs they don't bother.. Hallween ,Miss B Havin and Santa Rosa. not sure why...I have found a couple of snail trails on leaves..YUK!!! I am not a Chem~O kind of girl BUT I am about to bust out the big stuff ....LOL
    HELP!!!!!
    Chena

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I have a coreopsis that just pouts and gets eaten by these things until it gets warm. Warmth must slow rolly pollies down a bit. Then the coreopsis gets going and the RPs can't keep up enough to eat it down and leave it alone. Strange really if you think about it...PJ

• denisew
    16 years ago

My boys pinch them in half then throw them in our pond for the goldfish to eat. ;-)

• mnktx
    16 years ago

diatomaceous earth dusted around said plants?

• newtotheyard
    16 years ago

I got so frustrated with them eating all my new starts that I went to the garden store and bought Sluggo Plus, which has spinsad--an organic insecticide--in it. It's helped a lot. A little less humidity would help too, which I think we're going to get very soon.

• newtotheyard
    16 years ago

Sorry--spinosad (in case you want to look it up).

• scuba-gal
    16 years ago

I was wondering what the deal was - they are eating my morning glorys~
    Angie

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

This is the first sprin I can recall such a ruckus over roly polys. I never pay much attention to them but most of my plants are established not in shady areas. I had a hibiscus that kept falling over and they were doing a little damage to it but I potted it up and put it on the deck and have few if any bothering anything 15 feet in the air. Keeps me out of the reach of grasshppers (mostly) in some of the bad years where they were wrecking havoc down below. I hadn't heard of the sluggo/plus I have used spinosad for a few other bugs last year and early this year. There is also a product called conserve with spinosad for fire ants but that is a bite of a different nature (mainly my ankles and legs:) OUCH and itch that time again. Hope between the DE or spinsad you get enough relief to keep your plants happy
    Happy Growing David

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

They were devouring the tender sprouts of some plants I had coming up earlier this spring, so I dusted liberal amounts of diatomaceous earth around. That seemed to do the trick (at least the sprouts stopped getting eaten).

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like DE could be the answer... Thanks ya'll.. I believe I happen to have some here somewhere..
    Chena

• gotonenerveleft
    16 years ago

I did not know that roly poly's ate plants (such a newb) nor would I have thought that would eat them so viciously. I planted a small lobelia and in less than 2 days they had eaten at least 3/4's of it. I was so upset. I honestly never thought about them eating up the flowers. My sister-in-law told me puts out something to get rid of them every year, so I guess now I'll do the same thing cause I've got thousands of them...everywhere. And here I thought they were harmless lettle creatures....bah!

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

The roly polys have eaten most of the plants I set out from Winter Sowing. Thus far they have not taken on the Purple Bells, shhhh, don't tell them! The plants just disappear; not even a stem left! They ate 1/2 of the 12 daisies I received in a swap. I know they were the guilty party; saw them at work.

Peggy