Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia - August Beauty or Mystery?

Posted by jardineratx 9tx (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 14:30

I finally have an area that I believe will be ideal for one or two gardenia bushes. The area is about 8 foot long and 3 foot deep. I don't want the small-leaf low growers, but the tall large ones like August Beauty or Mystery. Of course, I prefer one that will repeat bloom, if there is such a gardenia. I know they do well with some shade and acidic soil, but I am very interested to hear suggestions regarding varieties of gardenias.
Thank you,
Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia - August Beauty or Mystery?

Where are you located? You will definitely need acidic soil otherwise you will have to be sure to amend it. Down here in south Texas, I've never had any luck with them, so I just keep one in a big pot and feed it coffee. Here is a website with some of the varities. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/trees/fanickazalea.html. Good luck!

o

I'm about 40 mi nw of Houston. I know that gardenias require an acidic soil to perform well, but since my azaleas, hydrangeas and magnolias are doing well, the PH of the soil is not too concerning to me. I'm basically trying to get feedback on the blooming and growth patterns of these 2 specific gardenias. Thanks so much for you response, I really appreciate it.
Molly

o

Good luck!! Im in S.A. And had a gardenia which blo
omed one magnificent flower then nearly died.i read that they need night temperatures of around 60�,so I dug it up and potted it near a large window.theres finally new growth but no more blooms yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here