Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Your never too old to learn something new

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

I took a class in Rockport on 3-31-2012 on how to propagate plants. I took cuttings from plants in my yard, to practice. Three weeks later I went to look at the cuttings, and to my suprise they were rooted. I never knew it was so easy to root plants. Almost all the plants in my yard can be rooted by taking tip cuttings with at least two nodes, and dipping in root hormone, then placing in potting mix( I used miracle grow) watering generiously, and then placing a plastic baggie on top( they recommened the HEB generic brand).I never looked at them until 3 weeks later, and they were well rooted. I planted them in my yard. Its sad I did not know about this in time for the plant swap. Barbra

Comments (8)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

That's great! I have rooted a few things, but don't have your success rate.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

That is so exciting! Did you put the baggie over a pot of some sort? Like a 4 inch pot or something.

This brought back a memory of my grandmother.

She would take a cutting....let's say for a rose. Put it in some soil in the ground. Then she would put a canning jar over that. Finally she would put a clod of dried cow manure on top of the bottom of the jar!

She was a magician in the garden.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cynthia, that is exactly how my monther rooted rose cuttings. She could grow trees from tooth picks. I put the cuttings about 2 to 3 of each in a 1 gallon pot, soaked them, and covered with a 1 gallon HEB zip lock bag. The wind cannot removed the bag from the pot. I did some using Ziplock bags and the wind blew them off the pots, and of course those cuttings died. Only the ones with the HEB brand stayed on the pots. I potted cutting of iochroma last Saturday, and peaked today and there are new leaves already coming out. I cannot believe how easy this is. I think I could start a nursery using my own plants. Today I took a cutting from a desert rose, since its so diffrent I am not sure it will work. So far I have been using the same type of plants, gardenia, bottlebrush, firespike, and hibiscus. Barbra

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Welcome to the growing hoards of rooters. Salvias are so easy, forget the plastic bag. I have Salvia gregiis san Antonio and Salvia silke, and mexican oregano rooting right now.Some will root in the ground with nothing. See you in the fall.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

This is exciting! You are way ahead of me. I took cuttings from the brown leaf angelwing begonia about 2 months ago. I dipped in rootone, and put right into the soil. They are alive and making roots, but are so slow and tiny I've just planted coleus around them. I should have done this. Next time. Or maybe tomorrow I will

thank you for sharing. No HEBs here. I'll have to try another brand.

c

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Kathy, the Amazon Dianthias did not root, I guess I can only root hard stem cuttings. I hope they reseed, they were just beautiful. We'll I guess you can't root everything. I can't wait until I go back to the coast, and see how the iochroma are doing. Since the desert roses are not hard stem, I do not think they will do any good. Still learning. Barbra

• chickadee_42us
    11 years ago

My mom did the same thing, stuck a rose twig in the ground and placed a mason jar on top creating a hothouse type environment.

• phasv2
    11 years ago

That is so cool...I wonder if I could do that with my knockout roses?