Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pookiemichelle

Crazy cold weather!

pookiemichelle
10 years ago

ARGHHHH!!!
I can't believe it is cold again! I love the cold for me, but I hate it for all my plants!
The weather reports don't show any freezing temps, but I am worried that I should move everything into the garage!!
Are you moving anything?

:-/

Comments (11)

• melvalena
    10 years ago

I'm only moving tender potted annuals that I just planted in smaller pots. The big pots are just going to have to stay where they are, I might throw a towel over them.
    I still have some tender things in nursery pots that I'll pull in. Everything else will either live or not..

• glitter_and_guns
    10 years ago

I still don't even know how careful to be - I never covered anything when I lived up north - "live or die, it is cold here" was my attitude. This time I brought in everything I could move, and the newly planted things I covered/wrapped. No idea if I overdid it. I just didn't want everything dead.

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

The tropical potted plants are in the greenhouse with the door closed, the hardier ones are outside but covered with blankets, and the veggie garden was covered with blankets (edges held down with rocks) last night. Everything else is native/adapted and in the ground and should be OK.

At this point, I just want to get a decent-sized bowl full of cherry tomatoes before the heat makes them turn up their toes. I have flowers, but that's it. I picked three good-sized long-red-cayenne peppers yesterday, so I've gotten something!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

The tropicals are in the house and garage. I just didn't want another setback with the bananas.

My hubby is a prince :-) It was done before I pulled in from work.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

tx_ag_95, wow I'm impressed that you have pepper already.
    Do you grow from seeds and when do you start plant the seeds?
    My pepper plants are still small, but I did start the seeds later than normal this year.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

I think my 2 jalapeño plants are toast. :( They are bent in half like the top half just keeled over. It is possible they could bounce back. I should have slipped the top half of a soda bottle over them.

Everything else I've looked at (so far) is fine.

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

I started from transplants, I don't have a lot of luck with seeds. But, I do have one that's a volunteer! The first pepper plant I planted may not make it, my stupid cat decided to make a salad of the leaves while it was inside the house. The newer ones are doing fine. They're not real big, but they don't have to be to start producing. Plus, I seem to have more luck growing them than the tomatoes. But not the bell peppers...those don't give me much, and what I do get are tiny.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

Late this afternoon the pepper plants perked up... after I placed a soda bottle top over them for a bit.. they just needed some warmth.

I hope everyones stuff perked up and survived this last (hopefully) cold snap.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I was out of town and everything that I could see when I returned yesterday was okay except for the green beans in my veggie garden. They look a bit "burnt", so the jury is still out on them, but my tropicals breezed through without any damage. BTW, how cold did it get???

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Lowest that I saw was 39

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Thanks, Pam !!!