Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_wiggley

Agarita Jelly?

mrs.wiggley
9 years ago

It's definitely time for berry harvesting of all kinds. My mulberry tree seems to attract and feed every exotic looking bird in the state. What a wonderful lure it is for bird watching! Some I've identified so far - orioles, painted buntings, grosbeaks, wax wings, cardinals, tanagers, some bright yellow with black head smallish bird (finch?), etc.

Now I see the agarita shrubs are nearly ripe with their berries and I'm pondering trying my hand at making a jam with it if I can brave that thorny task. Has anyone ever made agarita jellies, jams or other products?

Comments (5)

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I used to make it every year when we still had kids at home and had it all over our property in Dripping Springs. The hardest part was the picking, lol

This recipe ( from Wild Texas Edibles ) is the same as mine and I also didn't do the final steps because I knew it wouldn't be around long enough to really "preserve" them. At HEB they sell the plastic freezers canning jars
    The last time I made it was with stevia but I can't find the recipe for that batch

Agarita Jelly Recipe

Makes 2 pints

Slightly tart and perfectly sweet, the soft-red colored agarita jelly is a Texas treat on everything from biscuits to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

4 c agaritas

1 package of pectin

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

þ c sugar per cup of agarita juice

Place agaritas in a bowl or pan and pour hot water over the berries just until covered. Let sit for 30 minutes then mash vigorously with a potato masher to release the juices. Strain through cheesecloth or a jelly bag and squeeze thoroughly to extract all of the juices. Measure and pour the juice into a pot and add the pectin and lemon juice. Bring to a boil then add þ c sugar per cup of agarita juice and stir constantly. Bring to a boil for 2-4 minutes. Test the liquid to see if it will gel by taking a spoonful out, letting it cool, and then pouring it back in. If some of liquid runs together into a sticky sheet, itâÂÂs ready to gel. Pour the hot liquid into sterilized jars, place the caps and rings on tightly and boil in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Note: This recipe does not make a lot of jelly so if you plan on eating it within a few weeks, you don't need to can it and process in a hot water bath. Simply put in in airtight containers and store it in your refrigerator.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe which is now printed and in my recipe book for native grown foods. If I make it I'll certainly report back about the process and outcome. Any good tricks for collecting the berries? I was wondering if placing a cloth beneath the bush and shaking the berries off would work?

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

You're welcome. No, I really don't have any tricks to share, I wish I did but will google it, lol

Here you go

Here is a link that might be useful: harvesting berries

This post was edited by jolanaweb on Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:32

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, beating around the bush. Thanks for the google. I think I'll give it a try!

By the way, I wonder if you'll remember me. I used to post here under the name 'dragonflywings' for a couple of seasons. It's so good to see some regulars still here!

This post was edited by mrs.wiggley on Mon, May 5, 14 at 0:11

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Hi, I do remember you! Nice to talk to you again, : )

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths