Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ker_austin

Shrub for Austin and Anacacho orchid tree question

ker_austin
9 years ago

Hi - I am new with a couple of questions. We are landscaping our front yard, which is currently bare except for a large sycamore that provides dappled shade throughout the day. We are in Austin and the house faces south.

I am looking for a shrub to go next to the front door (in a soon-to-be created bed). Single story house with a couple of steps up to the door. I have searched everywhere and apparently the perfect mix of flowers in the summer but keeps its leaves in winter is hard to come by! I am considering a golden thryallis, but it seems that reviews are mixed as to whether it will keep its leaves in winter in Austin. It probably wants more sun than it will get there, but the spot does get some afternoon sun and dappled the rest of the day.
Any ideas?

Also, does anyone have experience with the Anacacho Orchid Tree? (different spot). How close to the house can it go? Or can it grow in a container?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• runjbells
    9 years ago

I have both plants you are referring to. My thryallis has lost its leaves the past two winters and is coming back from the roots this year. It is planted in full sun and gets a bit wilty. I suspect it would do better with morning sun and afternoon shade, and I plan to move it to a new location. It is beautiful when in bloom. The Anacacho Orchid is awesome! Very very drought tolerant, can be pruned to a tree or left like a shrub, white spring flowers, and interesting leaves. It loses its leaves in the winter (and mine actually died back by about 6 inches this year), but it's coming back strong. Mine has been in the ground about 3 years and is about 6 feet tall.

• ker_austin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information! It sounds like the thryallis might not be right for this spot, but I will keep it in mind for a different location. (Did you get it at Natural Gardener? ).

I think I am sold on the Anacacho!

Now, I just need to find something for the spot by the front door! : ) Dappled shade with some direct pm sun, with year round interest, between 4- 10 feet tall... Any ideas? :) I am open to putting something in a container to limit size (but worried about it getting dried out super easily.)

Thanks!

• loreleicomal
    9 years ago

how about Lorapetalum for the spot by the door. Evergreen, pretty flowers in the spring or with supplemental water

• ker_austin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I was just googling lorapetalum. I can't seem to decipher all of the varieties, but it might work for that spot!

• mrs.wiggley
    9 years ago

This may not be a popular choice, but I LOVE pittosporum. They are durable, adaptable, have a lovely scent when flowering and are otherwise evergreen. They are not native but I think once established (and near enough to the house to get rain runoff from the roof?) they shouldn't need too much care. There are different varieties available. ' I rented a home in Austin for a few years and some pitts were near the front door.. It always looked lovely, was so fragrant and I rarely had to water them. The only real care I gave them besides some supplemental watering in the summer was an annual trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: pittosporum in the landscape (scroll down to 4th picture)

This post was edited by mrs.wiggley on Fri, May 9, 14 at 0:59

• runjbells
    9 years ago

Yes. I bought the Anacacho Orchid at the Natural Gardener! Not sure if deer are a problem, but they love Pittosporum. What about some African Bicolor Iris or Butterfly Iris (pretty flowers) for by the door? Both are drought tolerant, stay green year round, flower, provide structure, and can take part shade or full sun.

• ker_austin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I think the pittosporum gets too big. Deer haven't made it yet (central enough, I guess), but it is probably a matter of time! I like the iris suggestions.

Thanks!

• annieinaustin
    9 years ago

Depending on what part of Austin you're in, and what kind of soil you have, you might consider Abelias. They can be pretty drought tolerant once they're established & the flowers, although small, are abundant, useful for bees & hummingbirds and have a light fragrance. I think 'Edward Goucher' is in the size range you're looking for.

• ker_austin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I did start a different thread asking about abelias, so that is a possibility. I am just not sure I'm in love with the way they look. Also looking at indian hawthorns, and I think something I am forgetting...

We are in the black clay part of town and not the hill country side.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I like salvia regal. It likes the dappled shade and is very drought hardy. It likes porous soil so if you are in clay, you will need to amend it. It has a flush of bloom in both theSpring and Fall.Another plant that gives bloom and fall color is Oak leaf hydrangea.

I have the orchid tree and it is in sun, a harsh part sun with shade in the morning and afternoon but hard mid day sun, no water, limestone hill country soil on a grade, and after this winter there was no die back and it was loaded with bloom. The soil is very dry here and a builder snapped it 1/2 foot above the soil when it was 2 years old. It is not big and looks like a bush. I bet it would be a lot bigger in town and a easier life.. I would amend the clay.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, May 22, 14 at 22:50

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I live in deer central and they seem to let it be. I can't talk about the closeness to the hous. Mine is way out on the yard.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH