Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What has happened to this tree?

Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 16:10

i thought it might be an iron deficiency, but it looks like maybe bugs? i am not even sure what tree this is. got it as a sapling free from CPS a few years ago.

DSC_1095
DSC_1097

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What has happened to this tree?

are they yellow dots on the leaves itself, or tiny yellow eggs? hard to tell from the pics.

o

Looks like some kind of rust. What kind of tree it is?

o

they are dots. I had this problem last year and when I described it to the guy at Fannicks, he thought it was bugs (maybe aphids, I can't remember now). The tree did fine through the winter but this problem has returned. it's otherwise healthy.

I thought it was a Mexican oak, but my new Mexican oak looks a bit different. (We got a few free saplings that year and I got mixed up which was which).

o
Mexican white oak

I do think it's a Mexican White Oak http://www.cpsenergy.com/images/GS_trees.jpg

o
or a live oak?

• Posted by cjra TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 11 at 10:07

I take that back, now I see the difference in the leaves...my other tree is definitely a mexican white oak. I think this one maybe a Texas Live Oak?

o

Looks like rust to me too. Is there a lot of leaf litter under the tree? That's not a live oak, leaves are too large.

o

Sun, May 15, 11 at 13:12

No leaf litter.
hrm, it's definitely from that CPS list. What else could it be?

o

Were ther any pear trees on your list? Here's what a live oak looks like, courtesy of Treeland Nurseries.

Courtesy of Treeland Nurseries

o

Sun, May 15, 11 at 23:35

SOmeone on the tree group said it was Quercus polymorpha
(Net-leaf white oak), and the images I found look right. I didn't think that was very common here, kind of funny they were giving them away and they weren't on the list if it's not even common in local nurseries (CPS gives away free saplings of native trees every Earth Day - we got this one about 5 yrs ago). The site I found says it's only found in Val Verde County.

They also suggested a mite may be doing this.

o
Monterey Oak!

Sun, May 15, 11 at 23:38

Ok, I finally got it....another name is Monterey Oak, which sounds like what I remember :)

Back to the original problem, I will look at mites and rust. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here