Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nally03

Looking for tried and true chigger control

nally03
11 years ago

Our yard is an acre. We live in North Texas. We've had a chigger problem for the last several years. I am really loosing patience with it. It's so frustrating to not be able to be outside (or send your kids out!) for fear of nasty bites. I've done some research and tried various things in years past. Tried sulphur (only one application, maybe I need to do more this year?), tried spraying with triazacide (sp?). We keep getting bit. I have been using baby oil and tea tree oil on my legs and arms, and that seems to help. Yesterday I was out working in the yard for several hours and only got two bites. But, I would love to know if anyone has ideas for getting rid of them once and for all!

I'm thinking a combo of sulphur and diatomaceous earth, broadcast over the frequented places (surrounding the playset, trampoline, vegetable garden). We don't have a sprinkler system, so the ground is dry. But, we do mow frequently and keep the grass really short. I'm not sure what else to do to make it inhospitable for chiggers! (Other than spending $$ on sprinkers?)

I'd like to stay as organic as possible.

Comments (14)

• copingwithclay
    11 years ago

Question: Do you have fire ants there?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

We use benificial nematodes, they control fleas, ticks,chiggers & grubs. They usually only last 6 weeks before they get rid of all the pest, then they die out. Our problem is moles, so we have to get rid of the grubs. We spray when we see the first sign of June Bugs. So we only have to spray once a year. We have almost an acre and spray 17 million benificial nematodes, on our yard. I don't know about chiggers life cycle, so you may have to spray more than once a year. We buy our benificial nematodes a the Lock Hill Feed Store in San Antonio, they keep them in the refrigerater, and we get them fresh. Do not buy the ones stored in freezers. They come on a blue sponge, and need to be refrigerated until you use them. You put the sponge in a 2 gallon pitcher, and just swish around. You cannot see the nematodes, believe me they are there. Then you attach your garden sprayer to the hose, fill the container, and just spray right on the lawn, and beds. They recommend that you water before you spray, or put down after a rain. It cost around $80 for $17 million nematodes. We only buy $1 million for our house in San Antonio, and that cost $10. Be sure to buy them from a feed store, so you get them fresh. Some nurseries keep them in freezers, those are old and will not do what you want. Barbra

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I do sulphur too and it works for me. Also an acre. I use the granular and reapply after EVERY rain, or once a month in summer, whichever comes first.

Now that I don't have kids at home and I have let the back of my yard go native, I don't spread sulphur past the areas we walk in regularly. But after spreading the sulphur, there is usually enough that has been ground into powder to fill the foot portion of a sock, and I keep that in the shed. When I want to walk out in the untreated part, I just slap that around my ankles and lower legs and keep the little biters from climbing aboard.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Honeybunny Barbra, that's great to know and I'm glad to know that Lockhill Feed store carries them. Beneficial nematodes are good for a LOT of things. I've used them for eliminating the grubs of the flower beetles and it works great!

Some of the most miserable times in my life were when I go into chiggers. Marti, it'd helpful to know that sulfer works too.

Copingwithclay, I've also heard that if you have ants you won't have ticks, fleas, termites, or chiggers. They eat them.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

A pest contol person told me that chiggers live in
    "pockets" of the yard. He said if you can figure out where that pocket is, then you have to treat that area only.

At my former house we finally figured that out and he treated it. I had no problems after that.

I hate to use pest contol, but at that house there were a LOT of scorpions. I still shake out shoes before putting them on. I had one fall on me while I was on the commode. That will scare the **** out of you. :)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I don't know about the pockets, but we have plenty of ants and have still been fighting chiggars for years. It would probably help if I mowed on the lowest setting like a lot of my neighbors, but I like the native look.

I've gotten a few chiggar "bites" lately so it's time to sulphur but I heard there is a chance of showers this weekend.

• rcagle2000
    8 years ago

I spent 10 years walking oilfield areas and pipeline. A helpful hint is wear flea collars around your ankles. we would loop the collar on on of our boot straps and then let is hang around the outside of the boot. I have walked grass waist high and went home chigger free while others were eat up. I know it does not solve all issues but until u find the cure this will help. I personally spread ground sulphur. It works until the next rain then you have to treat again when it dries out.

• copingwithclay
    8 years ago

TxMarti: Do you have lots of fire ants?

• rcagle2000
    8 years ago

generally in the area... yes... on our property no.

• grinchis40
    8 years ago

Having fire ants does not keep you from having chiggers! Trust me. I too use sulpher every couple of weeks or so but would love to know how to completely wipe them off the planet!

• rcagle2000
    8 years ago

That would be very nice.

• copingwithclay
    8 years ago

Today I noticed a roundish, 1/4" diameter, white thing slowly moving on the ground. It was one ant carrying what may be an insect egg case, and I suppose it was heading back home to share the loot with the mound inhabitants. The eggs of fleas, chiggers, etc., etc. can't run, hop, or fly away when patrolling fire ants are doing their hunting/gathering. For that reason I do not declare war on every fire ant mound. In fact, I welcome a reasonable number of mounds where they do not bother people and certain potted plants. Lots of them are seen cutting up and hauling off insect parts on the ground beneath the mosquitos zapper where they get fried each night. They really "will work for food".

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We've got bad chiggers in central TX, they're unavoidable, we get them just walking in any type of grass in our yard. Since you just cant jump in the shower 5 times a day to wash them off, instead I find that I can whisk them off with a medium-soft bristle brush. I get a big brush and take off my shoes and socks, then brush the feet good as (if they were covered with ants), turning the socks inside out to brush hard there as well. Then pull up the pant leg and brush behind the knee... you know they like it there! (groan) If you got privacy go ahead and do the rest of their favorite locations. Brush well! It takes a minute, but its worked somewhat for me, my legs have fared better lately. chemical free - energy free

Its hard to avoid getting bit up by chiggers if I have to cut weeds with the gas trimmer, even with DEET. They are nasty. I see people stopped along side the highway taking wildflower pictures in late April, and just shudder. Get ready to itch!