Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknow flower name

Posted by twomonths So Calif (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:30

My aunt in ETX has plants she calls Flowering Bamboo. Hers has purple flowers but she said other colors are available.
She gave me one and I planted in So CA. Mine seems to bloom summer, fall and most of the winter before dying back only to come back all fresh. Hers dies back in the winter time. They seem to have a dusty purple stem and purple tinted dark green leaves. Flowers are a medium purple. All my internet searches fail to find out the name. I feel she has the wrong common name. Can anyone help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknow flower name

Could you possibly post a pic of it? That would be very helpful.

o
RE: unknown flower name

lets see if this works now with Photobucket

Photobucket

\

o

It looks like tall ruellia to me. Check out the link to see if it matches.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruellia brittoniana

o

I agree, it looks like ruella. It can become quite a garden thug. It spits it seeds far afield and grows from stolens. There is a thread about Garden thugs and ruella and bamboo were decking it out as the most troublesome plants. I got hit in the eye by a flying seed in my garden once.

o

My purple ruellia does not propagate by seed, only the pink does. The purple spreads by runners underground that will take years to get out..... I have been working in one area for at least ten years now, and occasionally they still pop up. My suggestion to you if you like this plant would be to grow it in a container.

o

Thanks all. That is it. Mine here has not really spread. It just came back up after it kinda winter died back. But it will bloom all year from start til then.

o

My mil has purple ones that spring up across wide expanses of concrete from each other. I think she has seen the seeds in the air. We call them popping flowers.

o

Only my purple Katie ruellia reseeds for me, the tall does not at my house.

o

RUN AWAY! It all spreads like the weed it is, tall, short, pink, white, I rue the day I planted ruellia.
seeds, runners....grrrrr!
Tally HO!

o

I aggree with Beachplant. I have been hit in the eye by flying ruella seed. It was the Pink "chi- chi" one. It also spred by stolons and It took over my yard.... Beachplant, I did run away. I moved.

o

LOL! Chicken! Not that I blame you, that stuff is just dreadful. I hate standing in the yard after it rains and hearing those dang pods snap. GRRRR!
Tally HO!

o

It is well named "Flowering Bamboo" since like running bamboo it spreads from stolons like crazy and once you have it you have it forever -- unless you move -- that is ... :-)

However, I did read that a non spreading tall purple had been developed in Florida. If it was known to live up to that reputation I'd get it in a second if I could find it for sale here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here