Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are pecan tassels OK in my compost bin?

Posted by georgieporgie 8AustinTX (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 16:42

It will be going into my veggie garden. Was wondering if they could possibly be toxic to any veggies... I don't think they particularly need to decompose. Anyone had experience just dumping them on as a mulch? Thanks for any input,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are pecan tassels OK in my compost bin?

I have amended my soil clay soil using many things including pecan shell mulch which also had pieces of pecans and tassels, and have put it on top of my raised beds as mulch, I have had no problems here.

o
RE: Are pecan tassels OK in my compost bin?

Thanks for your input. I figured it would be okay, but wasn't really sure. There's so many tassels this year that they're going to be a great addition to my compost. My garden here in Austin went in late this year, so all my compost will be put to great use trying to speed up the growth before the summer heat hits us

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here